18

Alex soon found Blaise was incredibly weird about Ambrose. He never talked about him except once to warn Alex about him not being someone she wanted to associate with. Like Draco assumed, there was a dinner. Ambrose looked very much like Blaise and his mum. The same slanted eyes, and defined cheekbones.

She saw what Draco meant about the two men refusing to acknowledge each other. Serena Zabini tried engaging both sons in conversation but they'd talk to her only and ignore each other. It was the weirdest sibling relationship she'd ever seen.

"So, Alex. Blaise tells me a lot about you." Serena smiled kindly. She was very beautiful and Alex could see why everyone always fell in love with her.

"Should I be worried?" Alex replied and Serena laughed as though Alex had made a joke.

"Not at all. I heard you won the wizarding schools potions trophy for Hogwarts."

"Yeah, a couple years ago. It was fun."

"I'm sure. I don't know the last time Hogwarts won that particular trophy."

"Not for a few centuries. Four or five, I believe Slughorn said." Blaise said adoringly and Alex stepped on his foot and he got the hint.

"Is potions what you plan to go into once you graduate?"

"I do have some apprenticeships lined up from the contest." She agreed and was purposely vague about her answer. Dragon taming training in Romania was the last thing she wanted to get back to Voldemort.

"I'm impressed."

"And mother's rarely ever impressed." Ambrose said, looking at her with peering eyes.

"I'm flattered. Blaise speaks wonderfully of you too." Alex said, ignoring Ambrose. "He's said that you have a very lucrative business dealing with fashion."

"Ah, yes. You must come visit one of my stores one day." Serena offered.

"That sounds wonderful. I'll be sure to."

After dinner, they headed to sit in the garden.

"Your mum is amazing." Alex said. "And so beautiful."

"Alright, chill out."

"Are you sure you have no Veela blood? She definitely seems like she does." He didn't look amused and Draco smirked. "Fine, I'll stop. Where's the toilet?"

"Up the stairs, take a left, and down the corridor."

"Thanks." She said and left the boys together.

Ambrose was on the landing as she came out of the toilet. She smiled kindly but tried to walk past him.

"So, you're a potions menace?" He asked, stepping in her path.

"Um, I'm not bad." She shrugged, and tried to move around him again.

"You don't like me." He stated.

"Excellent deduction skills. Want a prize?"

"Why not? You don't know me."

"I don't dislike you. I don't know you well enough, or even at all, to be able to dislike you. But Blaise is my friend and I don't know what it is between the two of you, but he really doesn't like you. So, I'm not getting involved."

"You're a Hufflepuff, right?"

"Yep." She said and walked away.

Alex went back out to the garden.
"What's the deal between you and your brother anyway?" She asked.

"There's no deal, just leave it."

"Fine." She said and looked out to the horizon. "This is a really lovely view."

"I want some ice cream. I'm going to go get some. And probably eat it out there in the kitchen, or something." Draco stood up and left.

"What is he doing?" Alex asked once he was out of view.

"He's trying to set us up."

"Oh." She said and then laughed. "So he can keep a secret?"

"He hasn't ever been subtle. You've just always been really oblivious." Blaise said.

"I was mourning my last boyfriend, I wasn't really thinking about liking anyone."

"Can we tell him?" Blaise asked.

"No! We can't ask him to lie for us."

"We don't have to ask him to."

"I know, but he'll still be in a really awkward position for us."

"Or we don't stay a secret. You know, and we won't have to lie."

"Blaise-"

"I know the risk, I'm okay with it."

"I'm not. I don't want you to get hurt or to die. You said we could do this quietly. You said it'd be fun and romantic."

"I know."

"It's not safe. Not right now. Especially not right now."

"I love you." Alex froze.

"Please." She said softly. "Not right now. I won't be able to handle it if I lost you, so not now."

"Then when?"

"When things are better. When I don't have to worry about you being killed for being associated with me."

"When you're not scared anymore?" Alex stood up.

"It's getting late. We should be getting back." She walked away, and schooled her face so Draco wouldn't pick up on anything. She found her way into the kitchen. "Time to go, Draco."

"So soon?" He pouted, about to take a spoonful of the ice cream.

"You have ice cream at home. Let's go."

"Fine I'll go say bye to Blaise." He said and she waited.

Alex apparated them back to the manor this time.
"Want to do some potions?" She asked and he nodded. "Come on then." She led him to her room. She got out her potions equipment.

"Let's make euphoria elixir." He suggested. It was a weird request, but Alex abided by it and got out the ingredients necessary.

A/N- Ambrose and Blaise totally don't get along, hehe. I kind of wish Ambrose was at Hogwarts so we could see him more, but he's too old, so he doesn't make many appearances.

Favourite line is "Excellent deduction skills. Want a prize?"