The Light Behind Your Eyes

I faded in and out of consciousness. I was so glad to be alive, but the pain was unbearable. I closed my eyes and concentrated on going to sleep, just until the pain was gone.

        I'm dreaming, I'm sure of it. Standing in front of me was my mom, dad, and James. We were in our old house, standing in the living room. My mom and dad were holding each other, and James was grinning at me, arms crossed. I looked at them with tears flooding my eyes, "Did I die again?"
         My dad laughed, "No, Ize. You're still alive. You're just sleeping."
         My mom reached out for me, "Oh my beautiful Ize. Look at how grown up you are! Although, the fact that your husband is pretty hot..."
         My dad raised his eyebrow at her, and my mom's sweet laugh echoed, "I'm only joking, husband."
         I placed my hand into my mom's and grinned up at her, "I miss you, mom. I miss you, dad, and James."
         My mom pulled me into a hug, which was joined by my dad, and soon James joined in as well.
         "Things will get better, sis. Michelle will grow up and become a beautiful young lady and she will know our story." James spoke.
         "Ize, you've been hurt so many times. We promise that no more harm with come unto your family." My dad said. I let the tears roll down my face. We pulled apart, and I wiped my tears away.
         "You've made us so proud. I'm so sorry about how Mia betrayed you. I can't believe my own sister would hurt you in such a horrible way." My mom cried. I shook my head.
         "Mom, don't cry. I hate it when you cry. It's okay. I love you, mom." I kissed my mom on the cheek. She smiled through her tears, gently touching where I had just kissed her.
         "Dad, I love you. I missed you while growing up." I kissed him on the cheek as well. He ruffled my hair, laughing.
         "James, I wish you didn't... Nevermind. I miss you, bro. Thanks for helping me come back to life." I tightly hugged him. He hugged me back.
         "Tell Benedict to take good care of you. Say hi to my niece for me." he murmured.
         "You're waking up, Ize. Good luck, sweetie. We love you so much." My family began to fade away. I began to panic, and I reached out for them, but my hands slipped through.
         I started to violently sob, "No! Mom! Mom, please don't go! Dad! Please! Guys! Stay with me for a while longer! James, don't you dare leave me! I beg you, don't leave me again." I collapsed onto my knees.
         "We'll always be with you. No matter where you are, we will stay by your side." My mom's voice whispered.

        I suddenly woke up, breathing heavily and tears streaming down my face. I wiped them away, and began to breathe in and out slowly. After I calmed myself down, I checked my surroundings. I was in a hospital bed, the ECG steadily beeping beside me. I looked around, but Michelle and Benedict were nowhere to be found. I let out a sigh, and felt a numbness on my chest. I lifted up the hospital gown, glancing at my chest. There were long bands wrapped around my body, pushing my boobs down. I put my hospital gown back down and peered at my arm. It was wrapped as well.

        I reached for the button to call the nurse and pressed it, patiently waiting. A pretty young nurse came in moments later, the doctor trailing in behind her. The doctor seemed very familiar, but I couldn't remember from where. The nurse began to check my vitals, then went back to stand next to the doctor after she was finished.

        "Ize! I remember you! It's me, Doctor Smith! I was your doctor back in California a few years ago. I moved here two years ago and look, here you are as well! Funny how life turns out," Doctor Smith glanced down at the clipboard, "Let's see... You've been out for three days. We nearly lost you twice during surgery... Other than that, you've perfectly fine. You'll be able to go home in a week or so, depending on your recovery."
         I nodded, "It's nice to see a familiar face, Doctor Smith. Do you know where my uh... family is?"
         "I think they're in the cafeteria. I can have Nurse Joy check if you'd like." He pointed to the young nurse next to him.
         "That'd be nice. Thank you." I smiled. They said goodbye and left me alone.
         I began to wonder what happened to Quinn and Mia. I didn't check when Benedict carried me out of the house. Were they dead? I shook the thought out of my head. Benedict wouldn't be capable of murder... Are you sure? You were pretty intent on choking Mia to death when she threatened Benedict. He saw you die...

        Then, the door opened and Michelle came rushing in, "Mama!" I reached out to her, and hugged her as tightly as I could. I cried, finally having my daughter in my arms after so many years of being apart.
         "Michelle, you're so big! Last time you were in my arms, you were barely born." I smiled, kissing her all over her face.
         "Ew mama! I can't breathe!" Michelle giggled.
         Benedict came up to the bed, his left arm behind his back. He was grinning widely, and I raised my eyebrow in curiosity.
         "Ize, I nearly lost you a few days ago and I was so afraid. I love you so, so much. You are the love of my life and you are my beautiful wife. I want to marry you properly, through the church, " he got down on one knee, "Ize, will you marry me again?" He pulled a red box, opening it to reveal a golden ring with a diamond in the middle. I gasped, extending my hand.
         Benedict placed the ring on my hand, leaning in to kiss me. Michelle eww'd at our public display of affection, covering her eyes. We giggled and kissed.
         "I love you." He whispered.
         "I love you as well." I murmured. We pulled Michelle in for a group hug.
         My family was finally together after so many years apart. We were happy once again.

Epilogue coming soon.