Miss Misery

Quinn spent the night with Benedict and I. He slept on the floor on the air mattress while Benedict slept in the bed with me. I didn't dream about anything, which was good.

   I woke up around 1 am, feeling that something was amiss, and found that Benedict wasn't by my side. I assumed he went to the bathroom. I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and climbed out of bed, careful not to wake Quinn. I quietly opened my door and went downstairs to the kitchen.
   I heard hushed voices, one that sounded desperate and the other sounded frustrated. I peeked around the corner and saw that my auntie Mia had Benedict pinned against the wall, pushing up against him provocatively.
   "Come on, Benedict. She won't have to know. Just come to my bed with me. I'm closer to your age than she is." she began to unbutton Benedict's shirt slowly. I tightened my grip against the doorway, ready to jump out and confront her. But I didn't.
   Benedict stared at her, "This is your own niece you are talking about! How dare you assume that I will go to bed with you? Closer to my age, yet you act like an immature child."
   Auntie Mia shook her head, "Look, I won't bullshit you. Ize has been cheating on you with Quinn. So, why don't you return the favor and cheat on her, hm?"
   Benedict scowled, "Ize would never do such a thing. And quit trying to take my shirt off!" he roughly removed my aunt's hands from his shirt.
    "She would! I've seen them with my own eyes!" Auntie Mia sounded desperate. She needed a waterfall to satisfy that thirst.
   Benedict tried to push her away, "How dare you say such lies about your niece!"
   Mia strained against him, stood up on her tiptoes, and planted her lips against Benedict's. Benedict's eyes widened and he began to struggle against her. She had an iron grip on him and that's when I decided to step in.

    "AUNTIE MIA!" I screamed at her. She quickly stepped away from Benedict, her face flushed. Benedict wiped his mouth with the back of his hand, scowling at her.
   "Ize, Benedict tried to come onto me!" she began to lie. I raised my hand at her.
   "I saw everything, auntie Mia. How could you?" I felt betrayed by her.
   "Ize, I..." she began to stammer.
"Just stop, Mia. I can't believe you would do this to me. You know what? I'm moving back to California with Benedict." I sneered at her.
   Benedict was at my side, his hand on my shoulder.
   "What would my mother say?" I whispered harshly at her.
   Mia's expression changed. She looked at the floor, playing with her hands.
   I looked up at Benedict and then turned away, walking back up into my room.

   Quinn was sitting up, staring at us as we entered the room. He had a worried look on his face and he was breathing fast.
   "Please don't move away, Ize." he whimpered. He began to cry, tears running down his cheeks. I went over to him and knelt down right beside him, putting a hand on his shoulder.
   "Quinn..." then I looked up at Benedict, "Can we take him with us? Please, I'm the only one who cares about him."
    Benedict turned on the lights, staring at us with a hint of distrust in his eyes, "I don't know, Ize."
   I stood up, facing Benedict, "Do you really believe Auntie Mia?"
   Benedict turned away and then I realized that he did. He believed every word she told him about me.
   "Why!? What have I done for you to believe her? I'm pregnant with your child, for Christ's sake! I love you and only you!" I yelled at him, anger building up inside me.
   Benedict glanced at me for a moment, and then at Quinn. He then opened his mouth and the next words almost tore me apart, "You love him more than me. I wouldn't blame you. She's right. I'm too old for you, Ize. You deserve so much better and someone younger than me. Besides... I found someone else back in California..."

   I felt despair rising up inside me, my insides stirring and my mind screaming. I began to breathe heavily, my hand clutching my chest. I fell back, Quinn quickly catching me. I felt my world going black, and I heard someone far away yelling my name. I felt myself being let down onto the air mattress. I turned my head to the two figures that were arguing, but I couldn't hear what they were saying. Their voices were muffled. I could hear my own breath and my face felt like it had been dipped into water.
   I heard the sound of the door slam. I saw that there was only one figure left. I reached for that figure, not knowing who it was. My world was blurry and dark. I felt hands wrap themselves around me, pulling me close to their body. I heard horrible sobbing, and I realized it was me. I clung onto the figure, feeling myself being torn into piece. The person stroked my hair, telling me that it was okay. That I would never be alone.
   But I felt so alone. I felt like everything was misplaced. 'I found someone else...' those words echoed in my mind. Someone else. Someone better than me. Someone who could be everything he wanted, and more. I was just a 16 year old teenager who let her emotions get the better of her. I let out a scream in desperation, burying my head into the person's chest. Quinn. It was Quinn. I began to let out screams while sobbing hysterically. Quinn... I'm sorry that I'm ruining your shirt with my tears.

   I didn't know how long I lasted like that. It seemed like an eternity. But my vision began to clear up and I couldn't cry anymore. I ran out of tears. I just stopped. I began to quiet down while catching my breath.
   "Ize..." I heard Quinn whisper my name. I slowly turned my head to look up at him.
   "I can't..." My voice was raspy. It hurt to talk. Quinn shushed me.
   "Don't talk, Ize. Don't." Quinn held me tighter. I blinked, my eyes were hurting. I sniffed.
   "Sorry... about... shirt... wet..." I managed to say."
   Quinn softly laughed, "It's okay. I don't care about it. It's ghetto anyways."
   I managed a very small smile, "Quinn... don't... leave..."
   Quinn leaned down and kissed my forehead, "I will never leave your side, Ize. I will always be here, no matter what."
   I closed my eyes, thinking of a song verse, 'But it's alright cause some enchanted night, I'll be with you.'