Miles Away

We promptly left after that incident. I didn't know where we were going, but I knew it was somewhere out of town. We were silent, the only sound was the car. I shifted around until I was comfortable and then I drifted to sleep.

I woke up to the sound of the car door. I looked over to Benedict's side and saw him walking to the front of the car and lean on his car roof, his hands in his pockets. I realized that it was night time. We were parked at a beach and there was those wooden fence things in front of the car. The moon was gigantic tonight. I stretched and climbed out of the car. I joined Benedict and linked my left arm with his. We listened to the waves crashing and the wind softly blowing. It was just us there. I didn't even check the time. Finally after a long silence, I broke the silence.

"What's on your mind, Benedict?"

"I'm thinking about what your brother said. About the whole illegal thing." he replied. I felt my blood run cold.

"And? What about it?" I looked up at him.

He turned to me and then moved so that he was in front of me. He had me pinned against the car hood. I bit my lip, my heart racing. Benedict took my face in his hands and kissed me. I tasted tears in the kiss. Why was he crying? I wrapped my arms around his waist as he continued kissing me. We broke apart, evening out our breaths.

"I texted your brother while you were asleep and we both agreed that you and him move back to Arkansas with your aunt." he murmured.

I gasped, "You don't mean it..."

Benedict just moved his head up and down slowly, lips pursed. I shook my head. No.

"No. No. Benedict, I don't want to leave you. No, please." I began to shake.

Benedict wrapped his arms around my body and pulled me in closer to him. He rested his head on top of mine, "It's the only way, Ize. I can't stand to be away from you, even for a minute. I love you very, very much. I need you to be safe from Jack. Ize, he can cause us great harm. It's for the best."

I began to sob into his shirt and clung onto the back of his shirt. I can't leave my Benedict. I just can't.

"Ize... You will pack as soon as you get home. You and your brother will leave by tomorrow afternoon. I love you so much, Ize. You couldn't possibly imagine the love I have for you. We'll be together again. I promise." He kissed my forehead, the same way as when I was in his classroom.

"Benedict, I don't want to leave. Please, don't make me leave you. I love you." I sobbed.

Benedict shushed me as he stroked my hair, saying things like it'll be okay and I will always love you. But it wasn't okay. Nothing was okay. I had to leave my Benedict. My love. I can't leave. I can't.

Teenagers no longer scared the living shit out of me. Love scares the living shit out of me.

We held each other until the sun began to break the horizon. We got back into the car and drove back to Benedict's place to get whatever things I left. He insisted that I stay in the car and he get my things. I nodded and he left.

He came back and threw my things in the back, then drove to my house. James opened the door and glanced up at Benedict. They both nodded at each other as we entered. I went into my room and shut the door. I grabbed my suitcase and shoved everything I could in there. I shut it and dragged it downstairs with me.

James was already putting his suitcase into the car. He gave the house keys to Benedict and said, "Take care of it while we're gone." He picked up my suitcase and put it in the car as well. He slid into the driver's seat of the car and waited.

I grabbed onto Benedict and began to cry again, "Benedict, I love you too much to leave. Please, let me stay with you."

Benedict held me tightly, "I'm so sorry, Ize. Love, please. You'll come back. I know you will. It's okay. It's going to be okay. You still have my number, remember? We'll talk to each other everyday. I'll always be at your side, no matter what."

I couldn't contain my emotions. I felt like I was dying. I felt myself crumbling on the inside. I let out heart wrenching sobs. I can't leave now. Not now. I can't leave Benedict.

"I love you, Ize Way. I will be thinking of you, wherever you are. I promise you that I will always call you every night at 8." Benedict smiled at me, unknowingly quoting Kingdom Hearts.

"I love you too, Benedict." I stood up on my tippie toes and kissed him, putting so much of my love and soul into it. I still tasted the familiar tea on his lips. Tears mingled in with our kiss, but I didn't care. We didn't let go. We didn't want to stop. We knew we'd never kiss each other again. That thought tore me to pieces.

James honked his horn and I flipped him off. He can wait. I had to leave the love of my life behind. He didn't. With one last kiss and a ton more of 'I love you's' exchanged, I trudged to the car and climbed inside. I rolled down the window and waved goodbye to Benedict as we pulled out of the driveway. We waved at each other until he was out of sight. Until then did I realized that I had tears rolling down my face.