The Ghost of You

I must've fallen asleep because when I opened my eyes, the sun was shining in my room. I was laying on Quinn, who had his arm wrapped around me. I had a migraine and I felt nauseated. I slowly got up, careful not to wake up Quinn. I opened the bathroom door, my legs began to feel weak under me. I felt drained of energy. I let out a breath as my legs gave away. I threw out my hands as I fell, but at the last second, I did a turn. Thankfully, I avoided falling on my stomach, instead falling on my side.
I laid there, feeling the pain throb on my arm. I didn't move. I didn't hear Quinn's footsteps. I heard him say my name. I slowly turned my head and faced him, my eyes felt dead.
"I fell. I have to throw up." I said without emotion. Quinn bent over and picked me up. He carried me to the toilet and held my hair back as I threw up. I sighed and flushed the toilet. I pointed at the sink and Quinn carried me. I rinsed out my mouth and said, "Bed."
He carried me to my bed and set me down. I realized that Benedict's luggage was gone. I blinked, feeling dead inside. Benedict...

"Ize..." Quinn lightly tapped my shoulder. I hmm'ed him in response.
"Benedict said..." he took a breath, "He's going back to California. He said to not follow him or do anything irrational. And he deleted his number off of your phone. He said that you need me more than him."
I didn't react. I felt too numb inside. I reached for Quinn's hand and then I squeezed it.
"The... baby..." I whispered.
"He didn't say anything about the baby." Quinn sighed. I felt like murdering myself. But I couldn't. I was pregnant and Quinn needed me. I patted my stomach gently, thinking of my options. Then, I decided to go against what Benedict said.
"Quinn... Let's go to California..." I smiled, but it was a very small one.
"What? Ize, that's a lot of money..." Quinn raised an eyebrow.
"So? Mia has money. A bunch of it." I suggested. I sat up in bed, looking Quinn straight in the face.
Quinn stared back. He bit his lip, thinking.
"He isn't going to do this to me, Quinn." I stated. Quinn finally agreed.

James wasn't home, neither was auntie Mia. Quinn stood by the front door as look out while I snuck into her room. She had a safe under her bed, but I knew the code. 11... 13... 23... It clicked and swung open. It had about $8,000 in it. I reached in and took it all. I closed it and set the dial to 0.
I tried to go upstairs as quickly as possible without tripping. I grabbed my luggage out of my closet, throwing it onto my bed. Quinn rushed upstairs, breathless.
"Mia... Coming..." He managed to say. I shrugged.
"Okay. I'm almost done anyways." I said, putting the money in the luggage. I went to my closet, grabbing shirts and throwing them into the luggage. I scrambled around the room, opening things, grabbing pants, panties, bras, whatever. Then, I threw them all into the luggage. I slammed the lid shut and zipped it.
Quinn carried the luggage downstairs and I followed, phone and charger in hand. I looked at my room for the last time and closed the door.

Mia was standing in the living room, staring at us, "What..."
"I'm going with Quinn." I said to her.
"You... You can't." she stammered
"You only kept me around because I'm a dependent and that got you more money around tax season, am I right?" I raised an eyebrow.
"No... What will James say about this?" she folded her hands together.
"Nothing. He doesn't care about me anymore." I shrugged. No one cares about me... Quinn does...
"Ize. Stay. You're being irrational!"
"No. I am going now." I began to go to the door.
"Benedict doesn't love you, y'know. He used you." she spat.
That stopped me for a second. I wouldn't doubt it right now. 'I found someone else.' Those words echoed in my head. I shook my head slowly, clearing my head.
I took a breath, "I don't care." She's lying. She's trying to get to me. I know she is.
Quinn opened the door and before I left, I turned to Mia and said, "You are a bitch."

Before I knew it, we were on our way to California. I leaned my head against the passenger seat window, listening to the music. Quinn had a customized stereo that you could plug your phone into while charging it.
'You know that it would be untrue. You know that I would be a liar. If I was to say to you. Girl, we couldn't get much higher. Come on, baby, light my fire.'
I stared at the trees and houses rushing by. Quinn was singing along to the song, tapping his finger against the wheel. I rolled down the window, letting the hair play with my hair. I rested my cheek on my hand, sighing.
Quinn turned up the volume, rolling down his window as well. I looked over at him, examining him. He was so happy and I think I was bringing him down with my sad, depressed self. His hair was whipping wildly, but he didn't care. I smiled to myself, thankful that he was my best friend.
I began to fade away into my thoughts. All those times he said 'I love you', he didn't mean it? Were there other girls that he had done this to? Who was this new chick? My mind began to feel like it was splitting in two. I winced against the pain. I felt like I was sinking into despair and there was nothing I could do about it. I was drowning in an abyss and no matter how much I tried, I couldn't get to the surface.

I bit my lip, trying to distract myself from the memories. I opened my eyes, noticing that we were on the highway. I grabbed my phone and changed the song to 'Highway To Hell' by AC/DC.
I looked at Quinn and he looked at me. We exchanged smiles and we continued onto the highway to hell.