Chapter 2- Amicia

(FRENCH ACCENT OF BOTH CHARACTERS)

''Come on, Hugo. The river shouldn't be far from here.'' I pleaded, Hugo, My little small brother standing in front of me, I didn't enjoy the frown glaring on his face. ''No! I don't want to go Amicia! What if there are rats? I don't want to die.'' I bit my lip at Hugo, I couldn't help but agree with him though.  ''U- Hugo. I will protect you, I have my sling, remember?'' I smiled, going into a little pocket on my armor a showing it to Hugo, he backed away. 

''I dunno. You really think your sling can kill all the rats?'' He asked me, fidgeting with his hands. I rolled my eyes. ''Well, Hugo not all the rats, y-'' That made him whimper a little, I didn't mean to make him scared by saying that, but it was the truth.  I paused. ''Uh...Hugo...that- I'm sorry. I didn't mean it like that.'' He looked up at me, I noticed a dark fear in his eyes. He shook his head. ''It's fine.'' The little squeak in Hugo's voice showed I gestured my hand towards him. 

He stared at my gloved hand for a minute, then took it. 

He held onto it tightly, I knew how scared he was because of the rats. 

The Black Plague. 

I was ended thousands of years ago. Or so the whole world thought. Somehow, the rats came back years later. But this time- it took over the whole world. But they became deadlier. With just a minute, you can be swarmed by them. In just a minute, You can get infected from just one bite. They are angry mobs, everyone, waiting to hunt you. Kill you. The world is broken, it has ended. I only try to keep it from Hugo as much as I can, but I know he will find out. 

It doesn't mean I don't try to keep all the horrible things away from him. 

I could feel Hugo staring at me, I didn't want him to think something was wrong.

Even though there was. 

''Amicia...What are you doing? Are we not going to the River anymore? Amicia!?'' A panic entered his voice, I bent down to look at him. ''Sorry. Yes, we are still heading to the river. We'll get some water for you, okay? Then we make it to the bridge and....see  what we are going to do from there.'' I replied, Hugo, sighing. ''Okay...Just go. I am scared, Amicia.'' He claimed, looking down at his feet. I nodded, I pulled him to walk at the same pace as me. 

Ahead laid a darkened field, a River right under a wooden bridge. If Hugo and I made it over the bridge as quickly as we can,  we would be in a less exposed place, we would probably find food, water, and shelter for each other. If not, I would force Hugo to run and I will fight off the rats, doesn't matter if I die or not. Hugo needs to be safe. Otherwise, Hugo and I will find a town. If we can stay safe, then we will finally find a home.

That is all we are looking for. 

A Home. 

As we continued forward, Hugo tugged on my hand as my boots sank into the fields, I could feel how dirty and muddy it was. I frowned. ''Hugo, stop it! We have to move!'' I whispered, I tugged him toward me. He whimpered again. ''No! I don't want to go! The bridge is too far!'' He yelled, a frown also on his face. I shook my head and forced him to walk at a reasonable pace, fast, but slow. I smiled as I saw the bridge appear in my eyes, we were right in the middle. 

It wasn't until I felt Hugo's hand let go of mine. 

My head snapped to look behind me, my eyes wide and my heart thumping loud, I didn't see Hugo. My heart pounded out of my chest, I couldn't think. ''HUGO! HUGO! WHERE ARE YOU!?'' I yelled, turning around and looking around the dark field. Until I heard a faint noise. 

Calling my name. 

Hugo.