Chapter 3

Hugo's faint voice had a tone of panic, fear. How or what grabbed him so quickly? Where was he? I couldn't let him die! I ran to the voice that I heard, I noticed that Hugo's calling was taking me back to where he and I were, we didn't have a very good chance of walking to the bridge again. I made it to the spot when his voice became clearer, I couldn't think. ''AMICIA! HELP ME, HELP ME!'' Hugo's dreadful screaming set me off track, I pulled out my sling and filled it with rocks, then aimed it from where I was going to shoot. His words echoed through my ears, I had to respond to Hugo. 

''Hugo! Hugo!? Where are you!??'' I yelled, my eyes darting between the trees and the woods, I moved quietly. I walked further, and I saw a figure in the middle. It wasn't Hugo's though. A lean girl, Auburn hair back. I saw she pulled out some sort of blade, I boiled inside as I saw Hugo's figure in the shadows, rats around him.  ''HEY! YOU! GET AWAY FROM MY BROTHER!'' I screamed, I aimed my sling at her head. Suddenly, the girl dashed away and I was about to shoot her with my sling, and I saw Hugo running towards me. 

''AMICIA! H-AMICIA!'' He yelled, he ran towards me and I got in him my arms. ''Hugo....Oh my god....I thought you were dead! Don't ever do that again!'' I raged, I couldn't help but still hug him. Hugo looked at me. ''Amicia...It wasn't me! I-'' I looked behind him, My eyes wide. Hugo looked behind him as well, he stepped back. 

A swarm of black rats were charging towards us. 

Their eyes were bloodshot red. Their squeaking ready to hunt. Too many to kill. Too many to outrun. 

I looked behind me, the bridge was far. As the rats got closer, I tapped Hugo's shoulder frantically. ''Hugo...RUN!'' I yelled, pushing him towards the bridge. He hesitated, he looked at me. ''STOP! RUN! HUGO! RUN!'' He paused then ran, I took out my sling and aimed it at the rats, I knew I couldn't kill them all. ''GO, HUGO! I AM RIGHT BEHIND YOU!'' I screamed in terror, I ran as fast as I could. I caught up to him, I pushed him forward. ''GO! GO!'' The ground began to shake, the sky darkened. I looked to all sides of me. 

Rats were everywhere. 

They were booming up from the ground, running towards Hugo and I. 

I knew how scared Hugo was. But I had to be brave, for him. And only him. 

I continued to run as the ground continued to shake and rats boomed from the ground, I put my hands over my head to cover my face, I couldn't stop screaming. ''GO! GO! GO! HUGO!'' The image of the bridge came clear to me, I ran even faster. ''Amicia! I-I..I'm tired.'' Whine Hugo, his fast pace slowed down. ''NO! STOP! KEEP GOING!'' I pushed him forward again, he fell to the ground. I picked him up quickly, barely having the rats touch him. ''FASTER! YOU CAN DO IT!'' The ground boomed again, I pushed him onto the wooden bridge, he whimpered. I wasn't far behind, when I picked him up it slowed down my pace this time, Hugo screamed my name. ''AMICIA! COME ON! COME ON!'' I nodded and continued the run, the ground shook again. The whole field was covered in rats, I had to run faster. As I continued, I tripped. Right in front of the bridge. Right in front of Hugo.

I screamed as the rats became closer, I backed away quickly and got back up, I had to make the jump of my life. Over the bridge. Into the water. It was to dangerous to cross the brigde with all the rats around. 

I made it to the bridge and made Hugo hold my hand, we were right at the edge. 

I stared at the rats that had now mad it to the bridge, then Hugo. 

''Ready? Hold your breath. Don't let go of my hand.'' I said to Hugo, he nodded. 

''3! 2! 1! JUMP!''