Chapter 21

THE NEXT DAY

I had a terrible night last night. I ended up clearing one of the moldy dark brick houses, But I found a dead little girl upstairs in the small house when I was clearing the room. I just remember screaming, Ugh. I then tossed and turned on the floor because I kept picturing Hugo, just like the dead little girl. I had a bad dream that Ellie and Joel failed to protect Hugo...He was killed by the rats. Right in front of my eyes. Ellie and Joel were also killed. And I was left alone. Soon enough I was killed by the rats. 

At least it was a dream. But when I woke up, I couldn't shake off the feeling that this could happen. But I should stay on the bright side, for Hugo. I wonder how he is doing right now. I will leave tomorrow, I have decided. Today looks too crowded to leave, trust me. I was walking towards the cages that held rats not far from where I stood, I stared at Hugo's necklace all the way until I stumbled upon loads of talking from the guarded mobs. I crouched down behind a wagon, a place to peek to see what they were doing.  

Cages of rats screeching near guarded mobs. Mobs not all around, but walking around and guarding the wooden door that leads to the university. There's the biggest cage of all, screeching rats climbing on top of each other and swinging the metal cage around, the mobs turning around and slamming the cage with their axes, the rats still not calming down. I figured out how I will do this. 

I won't use the plan I did before, Though. First, I will find a way to get the biggest cage of rats down, use them to kill half of the mob. If there are any mobs left, I will kill them myself. But what would I do with the rats that will still be near? Maybe I can find a torch or something. Then, I will push past the wooden door, make my way inside the university, then find a doctor for Hugo, bring him back somewhere, and there! Hugo will be cured. Even though I know it's not that easy. I was still crouched behind the wagon, I stared at the rats inside the biggest cage. How would I get them down? I looked at the rusty hook that held them, I swear a sparkle shined through my eyes when I looked at my sling.

I would use my sling to break the cages down! The rocks, they will hit against the rusty screws, the hooks will stand now chance! I nodded and stood up, I began to swing my sling over and over again, I had to make sure this was an accurate shot. BOOM! SCRECCHHH!!

I quickly ducked behind the wagon again as the rats in the biggest cage were released, I could hear the mobs trying to fight them off. ''No! NO! HOW DID THE FUCKING RATS GET LOOSE!? HOW!?'' Yelled a man, soon enough he was being eaten by the rats, his bones showing one by one. ''NO! PETE! THE RATS KILLED- AHHHH! NO! GET THEM OFF! AHHH!'' My ears and eyes were filled up of watching the blood curdling screamed of all the mobs, the rats only leaving their bones. Everyone was being eaten! I could get through now! All I have to do is- ''Bitch!'' I felt someone grab onto my legs. He or she pulled me out of the safety of the wagon and threw me to the ground, I got up and gasped. 

This would be not an easy fight. 

The man was covered in armor. He held an upgraded machete the stretched the length of my legs, it made chills run up my spine. He had so much armor on that I couldn't see his face, he moved so quickly. ''Ha! This will be easy! I kill little assholes just like you every single day, Kid. AND THEY ALWAYS END UP DEAD!'' He charged towards me, I dodged him as he waved the machete at me. I screamed as he destroyed the wagon, I pulled out my sling and hit the rocks at him, the recashaded off his armor and instead shot at me, one of the rocks hit me in my head. I winced, I watched as my eyes felt the blood flush down my face, how would I kill him!? And at the same time, the rats were near! I didn't get time to process his armor, but I noticed the machete that he held fire, so he wouldn't have the rats get near or kill him, I had to get that away, but stay close at the same time. I frowned as I pulled out a knife, I could hear him snicker through the echo of the armor. ''Ha! A bitch like you think you can kill me with a knife!? Nice try, kid.'' He snickered, I shook my head and ran towards him, He dodged the attack making me hit my head against the floor. I coughed and got up, he pulled my legs towards him and swung the machete at me, I dodged the attack but he did cut off a piece of my skin, I held back tears.