Chapter 23

ELLIE'S PERSPECTIVE

I was on the floor with Hugo while Joel was out hunting. When Amicia left and we returned to the House we stayed at, the inside of the house was crowded with rats, So we found a place not far from the town so it will be better to pick up Amicia tomorrow. Hugo hasn't been himself lately when Amicia left. He's less talkative than before, He gets upset quicker now, and it feels like I'm babysitting him because I have to fucking chase him around all day, but I still like the kid. He's a good one. 

I stared at Hugo for a silent minute, He was looking towards the wall, I noticed his veins became worse on the back of his neck, and now the veins are beginning to come up to the side of both of his cheeks, it gets worse every single day. I sighed and took my backpack from a rusty chair behind me, I then tapped Hugo's shoulder, making him gasp and turn around. 

''Stop it, Ellie! You scared me!'' He accused, I bit my lip. ''Sorry, Sorry. Look at this.'' I replied, Hugo, scooching close to me and looking at what I was taking out of my backpack, He frowned. I pulled out a comic book, Ones I have been collecting with Joel. ''This is my favorite comic book series in the whole wide world, Hugo! It's called Savage Startlight! She's so badass.'' I Grinned, gesturing my hand up in the air when I said the title. Hugo frowned. ''I don't like it.'' He replied, I sighed. 

''Come on, Hugo! Give it a chance! It's an amazing series! I'll read it out loud to you! Come on..'' Hugo turned around to face me, I raised my eyebrows. ''No, Ellie. You are really annoying. Your voice is too high. You need to stop asking questions.'' He scolded, I frowned. ''Slow down there, Mister. Do you think my voice is too high? You should listen to yourself, brat.'' I hissed, He rolled his eyes. I sighed and put my comic book back in my bag, I then took out a pun book. ''You wanna hear a joke?'' I asked, still holding the grudge on how he insulted me, I think I handled it pretty well. 

He glanced over at me, I grinned. ''Okay, Here we go. I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. It's impossible to put down!'' I laughed, smiling as I heard Hugo laugh a little. He looked closer. ''You wanna hear another one?'' I asked, grinning. He looked around the room and nodded, I smiled. ''Okayyyy..You are gonna like this one.'' I laughed, He slightly smiled. ''What did the triangle say to the circle? You're so pointless!'' I beamed, Hugo let out a laugh. ''One more, Please!'' He told me, I nodded. 

''The Magician got frustrated and pulled his hare out!'' I joked, Hugo showing a smile and fully began to laugh, I laughed as well. ''Hahaha...There's my buddy.'' I grinned, Hugo immediately stopped laughing and turned away. I frowned. ''Hugo...What's wrong bud?'' I asked, still holding onto the pun book. 

He didn't answer. I sighed. ''It's about Amicia, right?'' I asked, He slightly nodded. ''Hugo...She'll be back tomorrow. We are going to pick her up with our horse Willy, She will have a doctor with her for you, and then...I don't want to explain the rest, you are upset already.'' I told Hugo, he turned around and faced me. ''You have to go back where you live with Joel...Right?'' He asked, I didn't want to give the answer. 

''Uh- Yes, Hugo. Joel and I will have to leave.'' I replied, Hugo fronwed and turned away. 

I bit my lower lip, I have no idea how Amicia does it.