Chapter 6

"Faster, Casey! Come on! You can do it." I thought as I ran faster down the court, feeling my muscles burn. I was trying to ignore the fact that the match against NC would be in a few hours. I was nervous. I couldn't help it. Not only would it be my first game wearing the UCLA jersey, but it would be the first time I match against one of my previous teammates. Furthermore, everyone will see the team. What if we lost? Would they lose faith in me? Forget it, Gardner! Don't think about that." I berated myself and kept training.

The beauty of training alone was that you only focused on yourself, without so much shouting, claiming, or noise. I enjoyed the colours, the feeling, and being able to be myself without anyone looking to see if I'm doing something right or not.

I ran for a few more minutes until I felt completely exhausted from it, then I picked some balls and practised my shots from different positions, focusing more on 3s, my speciality. However, I would love to practice near the rim, but I needed someone to defend me.

As if God heard me, I felt the doors open, and I was surprised to see Izzie entering, who had the same reaction. My heart raced, although I didn't quite understand why.

-I better go.-Izzie was the first to speak.

-Wait!-I said with my voice a little high, and she held her backpack tighter.- Would you help me practice near the hoop?-I saw how she opened her mouth trying to think of something to say, so I hastened to explain myself better.-I just need you to try to stop me from shooting. I know you are shorter, but it will work!

I saw how she hesitated, so I made my sweetest face, which seemed to work, as I saw her sigh, let her backpack on the floor and take off her coat. As she approached me while tying her hair, letting two free strands stroking her cheek.

-Thank you!-I said honestly and indicated to her where she has to wait.

I closed my eyes and concentrated on the sound the ball made when it hit the floor. I took a deep breath and opened my eyes again, noticing the shorter girl waiting anxiously under the rim. Quickly, I approached her, who was trying to get the ball out of me quickly. I dribbled the ball between my legs, which seemed to confuse her. Taking advantage of this, I jumped letting the ball go.

-Point!-I said smiling.

-Again. This time it won't be so easy, prodigy girl-She said with difficulty after giving me a sweet blow on my arm.

I laughed and went to get the ball, returning to my starting position in midfield. This time, Izzie's eyes hardened, looking attentively at me. I smiled and approached her quickly again. This time, she was more prepared and followed my movements more closely however, I was faster and taller. I kept the ball out of her reach and watched her jumping, trying to get it, which I found very cute and funny. I smiled and was about to put the ball down, so I could move better. But I felt a tingle explode in my stomach, and I couldn't help but release little laughs. As I could, I looked at Izzie, who kept trying to take the ball from me with her available hand while tickling me. I tried to get away from her, but she kept getting closer to me.

Again, I lifted the ball over my head after seeing how the shorter girl almost touched it.

Her eyes were fixed on the ball. She stopped her ticklings on my stomach and started to jump to get the ball. Taking advantage of this, I stepped back, adjusting my knees and jumped, letting the ball go. The next thing I felt was the cold touch of the ground and the weight of someone falling on me. When I opened my eyes, I saw Izzie above my body, extremely close to me, hitting me with her breath. From close up, she was much more beautiful, and I couldn't help looking at her, however, the locks on her face prevented me from fully appreciating her beauty. Without asking, my hand caressed her cheek and removed it. Thanks to that, I could admire her better. She looked deeply at me and gently bit her lower lip.

As if we were in sync, we both slowly come closer to each other, with our faces joining. I closed my eyes, enjoying the moment and slightly opened my mouth waiting for hers. However, the only thing I felt was how she got up like lightning. I frowned, trying to understand why she did it, and I watched her sight centred on the doos. I looked in that direction to understand what she was looking at, and I noticed how my teammates were standing at the door, looking at us confused.

I felt my mouth closed, and my mind went completely blank. I knew there was nothing wrong with what we were doing. We were training.

-Gardner asked me to help her shoot.-Fortunately, Izzie was the first to speak.-We fell because the stupid can't coordinate correctly.-She looked at me for a second as if apologizing for the latter, however, I felt bad for her comment. I thought she was going to explain more, but she just looked at me one last time and said goodbye, adding that she should change her clothes for the game.

I closed my eyes and lay down on the floor, trying to calm myself.

-You're an idiot, you know?-I heard Sharice but didn't want to open my eyes.-She does that. Everyone knows Izzie Taylor. She will be with you for a while, and then you will see how she will let you for another victim. Or what do you think she does every time she sneaks out of her room every night? As long as you play well, you can do whatever you want and sleep with whoever you want. But don't choose Izzie.

She walked away from me, preparing to train with the other girls before the game started. I stood up, thinking about what she had said, feeling worse than before.

Hello! How are you?

I hope you like this new chapter and enjoy reading it.

First of all thanks for reading and the votes! I appreciate it! You're amazing!
If there's a mistake don't doubt in telling me, everything that helps me deliver a good story is welcome!

What do you think of the character? Do you believe in those Izzie's rumours? Does she really hate Casey after this?

Well, see you next time!

-Itscucupi-