Chapter 16

"Are you ok?" Evan snapped me out of my thoughts, and I realized he was looking at me confused. Apparently, he was talking to me a while ago, but I hadn't been paying attention. "For almost 20 minutes, you just stared at the wall with a smile on your face. Are you high, Casey?!" He shouted in a whisper, and I saw how the people, who were sitting in front of us, turned their faces to see us.

"No. No!" I repeated the same way. "What are you looking at?!" When they turned their attention to the front, I looked at Evan and whispered. "I'll tell you later." At first, I was going to confess my relationship with Izzie, I knew he wouldn't object, but I didn't want the whole school to find out. I didn't want them to talk about Izzie.

When the class ended, he was the first to get me out of the room.

"Come on, Case. Tell me about it." I laughed at his anxiety and hit his shoulder with my fist, although my eyes were focused on the girl who was near us, looking at the titles of some books. I walked over to her with a smile and put my arm around her shoulder. At first, she was scared and tried to move nonetheless when she saw me, she laughed and put her arm around my waist.

"What are you doing?" I leaned close to her ear to whisper. "Girlfriend." I felt as she stood up straight and closed her eyes at my voice.

"Brown sent us a research assignment about Emily Dickinson's story. I'm trying to figure out which poem to start with. Can you help me?" I was going to refuse, I didn't know anything about this Dickson, but I couldn't say no to that look. So I nodded with a smile. She let out a little excited cry and hugged me. My skin prickled as I felt a soft kiss on my neck.

"I can't kiss you where I want, so I have to do it there. I hope you don't mind." I couldn't do anything but deny with a gawking smile, making her laugh. "See you after practice, Newton. And we'll pick one." I watched as she stood on tiptoe and gently kissed my cheek before walking away to her next class as I followed her with my eyes.

"So... at the end, you were high." I heard Evan's voice next to me, forcing me to look away from the path Izzie had taken. I was going to reproach for not being. "You are high from love."

I hit his shoulder again. This time, harder, and he let out a big laugh, directing his hand to my hair to mess it up. I pushed him away laughing, and we both headed off to our next class.

***

Even though Literature became one of my favourite classes, I kept my eyes on the campus, thinking about how fall, almost winter, was here. Instead of a great cold or snow, as in Minnesota. Here the temperature only dropped slightly but nothing serious. And there was no snow either. Right now, I miss my home.

When the class ended, I looked at Evan, who returned my look with a smile, knowing that there would be no escape and that I should tell him what was going through my mind. We both went out to campus for lunch, finding a table not so far from the institution.

I didn't wait for him to ask me but decided to confess what was happening immediately.

"Izzie and I are dating." Saying that an automatic smile spread across my face. I had not realized the magnitude of the situation. I was in a relationship with Izzie. The girl who hated me, the one who became my best friend here (no offence Evan), and the one who stole my heart every day we spent together.

"I knew it already." I looked at the boy, confused. "Come on, Casey. You're not a mystery. Besides, you're so obvious with those looks and smiles."

"It's complicated." I whispered, remembering the words my father had given me at the beginning of the semester. "I shouldn't be with her. My dad would hate it if he found out. He'll think I'm not giving basketball enough attention, and that's why we lose. Besides, people will think things about Izzie. That this is just something momentary or pure sex. I don't want anyone to talk about her. I'd love to be able to yell to everyone that I'm dating the most fabulous girl ever, but I'd hate myself if it hurt Izzie." When I finished, I hid my face in my hands, feeling more relieved.