Chapter 25

"Another pass. Another UCLA basket." said the commentator. "This team is on fire in its first game." 

Sharice came to me to give me a high five, and I did so excitedly. "I've never seen you so happy before." she commented. "You're tearing Montana apart." She added and then laughed.

"I think I have a good muse," I answered, looking at Izzie, who was cheering with the cheerleaders. Apparently, she noticed my look because she instantly stared at me and smiled.

"You disgust me." she continued. "Seriously. I want to throw up. I'll call the coach so he can change me." I laughed when I heard her and pushed her gently.

"I think we won't miss you if you're changed." I added, feigning seriousness. However, Sharice saw through my joke and pushed me back.

"You couldn't live without my assists."

"Touche." I finished and extended my hand to her. She quickly understood and gave me a high five, then closed her fist and bumped it into mine twice to finish with another high five. A few games ago, we had thought of a greeting that would be only ours. Something personal from "Sharey," as she liked to call us. I hated the name, but I admit that I find it cute that she sees me as her friend, especially after hating me for a while.

When the referee blew the whistle, signalling that Montana was going to play again, I quickly approached Izzie to confess something.

"The next triple is for you." I commented, smiling, before giving her another fleeting kiss.

She didn't have time to reply as I had to run and defend the ball. Montana was a good team and had quick and agile players. Especially Libby Stump. Their point guard. I had played against her before, but this time it was different. It was better than last time, and I know she didn't want to repeat the former's result.

However, tonight was my night, and I wasn't going to let anyone steal it from me. Nobody could be against UCLA today. I had a feeling she was going to pass the ball, so I went into the middle and patted it. With speed and without looking back, I went back to the 3-point line and shot. Instead of seeing it, I looked at Izzie, waiting for the impending 3-pointer.

"AND ANOTHER TRIPLE BY CASEY GARDNER! THIS AFTERNOON THERE IS NO ONE WHO CAN CONTROL HER. PEOPLE, CASEY GARDNER FROM UCLA SAYS WELCOME TO THE FIRST ROUND."

***

"How did you know you were going to make a basket?" I heard the voice of my girlfriend while leaving the dressing room. I smiled and leaned down to give her a long, soft kiss.

"I have great inspiration." She smiled and kissed me again. "You are beautiful today." I added and noticed how her cheeks blushed. Although, there was something strange in her gaze. "Something happens?"

She bit her lower lip before answering. "My mom called. She says she's coming over for the next game. She wants to... she wants to meet you, Casey."

"Me? I thought the last thing she would want is to see me."

"No. She assumes that we are just friends. She says that I am going through some confusion and that with her visit, she hopes to solve my doubts." I observed her discomfort and came up with something to make her feel better.

"Come with me." I said, as I took her hand and guided her towards the court, at this moment empty. It was surprising how quickly all the fans left, but I was grateful. I left Izzie in the middle of the court and walked over to the balls, grabbing one. "Wanna play?"

"Newton, I'm not in the mood." She commented, looking at me seriously.

"I know. Play with me, Miss Taylor." And I extended the ball to her as if I was asking for a dance. She sighed and took it, bouncing it with both hands. "And Izzie Taylor has the ball. The UCLA sensation is ready to shoot!" I faked an announcer's voice and noticed a tiny smile appearing on her face. I walked up behind her to whisper in her ear. "It's your time, shoot."