Chapter 21

When I opened my eyes, I noticed how Izzie was sleeping peacefully on me. I smiled when I noticed her tranquillity. After the argument with my father the night before, we never heard from him again. According to my mother, he went to say hello to a friend. Since then, we could eat the pie that Izzie had prepared and watch a movie together. It was delightful for me to notice how my mother comforted my girlfriend when she began to cry at the end of the movie. I highly doubt that she had enjoyed such "mother and daughter" moments in her life.

"Newton, close your window." I heard my girlfriend's raspy voice and smiled before stroking her hair. "I'm serious. I want to sleep." She rolled on the bed, thus leaving my body, and placed on her stomach with a pillow on her head. I laughed before grabbing a t-shirt and sweatpants, closing the window and walking to the bathroom.

When I went downstairs, better dressed, my nose picking up the sweet smell of hot chocolate, I entered the kitchen, finding my mother serving breakfast in a mug and some marshmallows on top.

"Hello, sleeping beauty. How did you sleep last night?"

"Fine. And don't call me that. In my opinion, I look more like a prince, don't you think?"

"Prince, princess. Whatever makes you happy, Casey. Chocolate?" She offered, and I nodded. When I was about to grab one, she shook her head. "These are for Paige and Sam. You'll have to wait."

I opened my mouth in surprise and heard Paige laugh from the living room. This was treason. My own mother against me.

"You hurt me, mother. You, who must protect my feeding, decide to feed someone else." I spoke dramatically, and she laughed, before leaving the kitchen. I followed her, going with Paige, grabbing a penguin cookie.

"I brought you something, loser," Paige said before handing me a black bag. "The presentation isn't the best, but the intention is what counts." I laughed, knowing that this would happen. Since we were kids, the blonde never wanted to decorate the gifts.

Opening it, I found a new pair of Nikes. They were light blue and white, with small details in black.

"When we were at Newton, we all promised to wear the same pair of black sneakers, and when I played UCLA, last time, I noticed you were still wearing that design. I think it's time to match UCLA's uniform, don't you think?" I felt tears burn against my eyes. "Hey, you won't cry now, right?"

I shook my head and hugged her.

"I adore you, Paige." She returned the hug for a few seconds before pushing me affectionately.

"Enough of honey, let me eat my cookie."

My mother came back carrying two cups. One for me and the other placed on the table.

"It's for Izzie. A few minutes ago, I heard her go into the bathroom."

At that very moment, my girlfriend came downstairs wearing a UCLA T-shirt (which she had stolen from my closet since it was too big for her) and long pants.

"Good Morning." She said in general before approaching me and kissing my lips tenderly. "I love you."

"Uhhhh" We heard my mom and Paige say. Sam just looked at everyone confused.

"You're at the 'I love you' stage. Get ready Mrs E. You'll have to bear Casey saying it 100 times a day." Paige joked.

"What is the 'I love you' stage?" Sam asked.

"It's a moment when you feel all the accumulated feelings towards the person you love to sprout in your body. And you can't stop reminding her of your love." Paige said as she ate her cookie, and we all looked at her in surprise. "What?" She questioned with her mouth full as she took another cookie.