Chapter 9

-What the hell is happening to you today, Gardner?-Sharice had avoided using any insults against me since we started trying to be a "team." However, we could see how hard it was for her. I also had moments where I wanted to tell them how awful they were playing. But I had to try to gain their trust. That would be the only way in which they would allow me to play.

-Nothing.-I lied. "Well, and maybe a certain girl who is training next to us." I thought. My mind flew, letting me admire the brunette girl, who was trying a new trick with her teammates.

Today is our first study session, and I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous, which was the reason for my poor practice's game. I could barely connect the way I move my legs, much less could I think about throwing the ball correctly. I had never felt this nervous about being around someone, and I did not understand why I was happening to Izzie, but when I was by her side, all my thoughts were about how beautiful she was and how much I wanted to stay with her, all day.

I felt a hard blow to my face and my body staggered, so I had to lean on the ground to avoid falling and hurting myself. Sharice walked towards me with a frightened gaze.

-Are you okay?- She asked. And I felt how she approached me to check if I was okay. I noticed how my team and even the cheerleaders get closer to check on me.

-Of course! A ball's hit is like a woman's kiss.-I answered ironically, and surprisingly Sharice let out a snort, which could well have been mistaken for a laugh, as she carefully tapped my shoulder.

-Let's give her time. And maybe, we're lucky enough, and her brain starts working as required.-She said with an amused tone while pushing everyone away. I decided to sit on the bench for a moment and rest. This shit hurts like hell. I felt someone sitting next to me, and I thought that Sharice had regretted what she'd said and was going to force me to work again. With my healthy eye, I checked, almost dying when I see Izzie next to me, inspecting my face.

Gently, she removed my hand from my face and gently stroked the bruised area with her finger, checking that it was totally okay. I, for my part, controlled her beauty, the colour of her skin shone in the light of the court, and our closeness allowed me to appreciate her face more closely. Her lips were pink and thin, which hypnotizes me. For a moment, I watched them move, which mesmerized me completely. Then, I felt her voice speaking, and I remembered that I was with her.

-Newton? Hello there? Are you okay?-She waved her hands in front of my eyes, somewhat anxious.

-I'm fine.-I replied softly, and she stopped her movements, feeling relieved.

Izzie took from a bag, which I assumed was hers, a small towel and began to gently wipe the sweat from my face and neck while continuing to analyze every part of the place where the ball had hurt me. For a second, our gazes met, and she gave me a small smile, which I reciprocated.

-Are you sure you are alright? Or do you want a day off today and study another day?

-No!-I said quickly, and she looked at me surprised. At the same time, we felt how everyone stopped what they were doing to see us. I looked at Izzie and whispered.-I wouldn't miss our session for nothing.-Noticing what I said, I tried to explain myself better.-I mean, literature. Analyze. I didn't mean to be with you. Wait! I do want to be with you! To study!

His laugh cut off my explanations, and I was relieved because she didn't seem angry. I knew everyone was watching us while her teammates were whispering. However, they weren't the only ones. I observed how my teammates were doing the same.

-I must go back, Newton.-I heard Izzie say softly, as her eyes were focused on her "friends". She bit her lip scared, so I took her hand and gently stroked it.