Chapter 10

-You have a horrible face.-Evan told me while we were trying to write an essay.-Besides, you haven't spoken since we sat down, and it's kind of difficult to write this essay alone.

-I'm sorry.-It was the only thing that left my lips. I looked at Evan, who looked quite worried. I sighed and decided to tell him the truth. -I discovered Izzie running away with someone last night. I know I shouldn't feel like this, much less care what she does with her life, but it's hard when the girl who stole your thoughts for a whole month is not interested in you. And the worst part is that I don't even know how I really feel about her. C'mon! She hated me! However, every time I look at her, my heart can't help but beat out of control.

My friend placed his hand on my shoulder and caressed it carefully. Unfortunately, we were unable to continue our conversation, but our essay was primordial.

When we left class, I found Izzie waiting on the opposite wall. When she saw me, she held her backpack tightly, biting her lip with a smile and trying to approach me. However, I didn't want to speak to her. Not now. For that reason, I took advantage of the fact that a group of boys was walking in the middle of us, and I sneaked among them. I didn't even care about Evan. I could only think about getting as far away from the girl as possible. It was impossible to see her without thinking about what I'd seen the night before. I know it wasn't her fault, but I couldn't ignore how my heart broke every time I remembered that I'd never be with her.

I didn't know how I have made it, but I ignore her all day. Even though I knew I wouldn't be so lucky in practice because she would be there, training with the cheerleaders.

When I arrived, the court was deserted except for Izzie, who was sitting, apparently waiting for me, and after seeing me, she gave me a small smile and made the effort to get up. Thank God, Sharice was arriving with her eyes on the cell phone, and I walked to her.

-Hey! Ready for today?-She looked up at me, confused.

-Are you talking to me?-I nodded, and she gave me another look full of confusion, then looked at the cheerleader, who was sitting near to us, and sighed, looking at me again.-Really? Well. I'll hate myself for this, but do you want to train with me while we wait for the others?

I smiled gratefully and went to look for one of the balls that were in the corner. I felt someone trotting behind me, and when I turned with the ball in hand, I found Izzie, somewhat agitated by her little exercise.

-Hey! Are you okay?-She tried to place her hand on my shoulder, but I backed away a bit to avoid it. I looked around, trying to find an escape from this situation and, mainly because I couldn't see her without feeling my heart going crazy.

-Yes! I. I must...train!. See you later.-Without seeing her, I stepped to her side and approached Sharice, who was looking at me somewhat uncomfortably.

-Trouble in paradise? Has she already changed you for someone else?-I didn't want to tell her that I couldn't be changed when we've never been together in the first place, but it hurt to know that we didn't even have that. I just passed the ball to her and started the practice.

When I was playing, I didn't feel uncomfortable anymore by Izzie's presence, who I noticed from the corner of my eye, was sitting on a bench with a book, although I could also perceive the little gazes she was sending me from time to time.

-Concentrate, Ace.-I heard Sharice whispering next to me as she tried to steal the ball, which made me smile as I remembered.

* Flashback *

-Come on, Case, concentrate. Or you're not the Ace anymore? -Said Paige as she tried to pass through my defence with a smile -Look, girls! Our beloved prodigy is lost.-I couldn't help but laugh as I tried to steal the ball from her. The blonde girl was fast and could sneak away at any time. I couldn't remove the mark on her, but it wasn't easy to get the ball out of her when it was in her possession.-And here goes Bueckers!-Her body was pushing me.-Look! Ladies and gentlemen, Newton's ace doesn't know what to do against her. And there she goes, she steps back, turns, jumps and throws!