Chapter 14

My heavy breathing was confused with the music I was listening to through my headphones. I felt how my hands moved rapidly as I passed the ball between my legs and how my body rose every time I jumped.

I had always liked practising alone, and I wasn't going to stop doing it. Even if I couldn't play today.

The week had passed pretty quickly. I returned to the club with Izzie, and although her teammates still looked at me with some suspicion and seriousness, I got the opportunity to talk with them more. They were nice and funny guys. And then there was Logan. His simple presence annoyed me, especially when he was with Izzie. I didn't want to be like this. I mean, she can have all the friends she wants. It's just that that boy's presence resembled the same one I feel when I'm being marked in a game.

I kept practising, this time getting closer to the hoop to shoot. It was relaxing to think while playing. Here I could be myself, without fear.

I practised for a while until I turned to the bench, looking for my water bottle, finding Izzie, who was looking at me with a smile, while her chin was resting on her hand. I will not lie that I wasn't scared. I mean, I thought I was alone, and now I realize that the girl was watching me for a while.

She got up and grabbed my bottle, gently tossing it to me. I grabbed it and took a big sip. When I finished, I closed it and took off my headphones, focusing on her.

"I'm sorry." She said delicately. "I didn't want to bother you. I came and saw you here. I thought you wouldn't be training, knowing that you can't..."

"Not being able won't take away the fact that I love doing this." She smiled at me and nodded understandingly. I bent down to hold the ball firmly. Then get closer to her. " Shall we practice?" She gave me a confident smile and pushed me gently.

-Are you sure about this? The first time, I was just gentle. Today it won't be so easy.

"I'll take it." I smiled and started to bounce the ball off the ground. Slow at first, which fooled Izzie into thinking she had a chance to steal it. However, when she leaned over to catch it, I stepped back and dribbled quickly before pitching.

She turned her face to see if I got it right or not. I nevertheless focused my eyes on her.

"It's impossible." She said, looking at me, making me smile. "How did you do it? You weren't looking at the hoop!"

"-A professional doesn't tell her secrets, baby". -I saw how she was trotting to get the ball, passing it to me.

"Again!" She snapped, smiling.

I don't know how long we were practising. Playing with her was fun. She allowed me to give my all. Without fearing her reaction. She was delighted to try to stop me again. It was difficult for her yet she didn't complain.

"Point!" I said at the same time that I threw the ball, knowing that I scored. "Have you got enough, Izz?"

"-I'd love to be able to say no, but I feel destroyed. You're impossible, Newton." She stood on her tiptoes and kissed my cheek before returning to her bag, getting some water." I have to go. See you at the game, star girl."

When she left, it wasn't long before the team's girls walked in. On this occasion, Sharice didn't allow me to train. Which made me angry, but I knew it wouldn't be right to fight her before a big game.

Then I saw as UCONN entered to practice, and I focused my sight on my friend, who smiled at me from a distance, winking her eye.

I was very surprised, seeing her train. She was faster, and her finishes were cleaner than before. I had never played an official game against her, but I feel bad for the girls today.