Chapter 11

-Have you seen Izzie? -I asked Evan as soon as I saw him reading at the campus.

After our literature session yesterday, I couldn't stop thinking about the idea of ​​inviting her to the party today. So strong was my desire that I could hardly sleep. At first, I thought of sending her a message, but it wasn't enough. I wanted to make something special. Let her notice that she was important.

-I don't think so, dude.-He seemed to think something after his answer.-Hey... would you like to go to the party with me?-I looked at him and was going to tell him that he wasn't my type, but he started again. Like friends! I know you like Izzie. I just don't want to be alone.

I thought his question was sweet, but I didn't want to go with anyone but the cheerleader.

-I'm sorry friend. But I'm searching for Izzie because I want to invite her. I can't wait.-He nodded and smiled sweetly-If you accept, we can see you there! We will not leave you alone.

He was going to say something, but from the corner of my eye, I found Izzie walking through the campus, listening to music. I greeted my friend and approached her quickly. When she saw me, she smiled, biting her lip as usual. I noticed how some people started to focus on us. But today, I didn't care. My full attention was on the girl.

-Hey, Newton! Enjoying your...

-Would you like to go to this weird party with me?-I cut abruptly, and she looked surprised. For a few moments, she didn't answer and seemed incredulous of my question.

-Seriously? Are you truly inviting me? Me?-I nodded nervously, fearing her answer. "What if she said no?"

-It's nothing serious. Can we go like... friends?

After that, she lowered her gaze, somewhat dull. Like sad. And I regretted what I said.

-People will talk about you, Newton. I don't want to ruin your image.

-Fuck, people. I'd rather be with you and be real than be surrounded by people with whom I have to pretend to be someone I'm not. Besides, I love people talking about me. And now they'll say "look, it's Casey! The ace is with the prettiest girl."

She finally laughed, and my heart went wild. Really, I am in front of the most beautiful girl of all.

-I have classes.-She adjusted her backpack, stood on tiptoe to kiss my cheek and began to walk away slowly. I didn't understand what happened. My heart was divided between the happiness of feeling her kiss on my skin and the sadness of being rejected. I was going to go back to Evan until I saw how Izzie turned her head towards me.-See you at the dance. Date.

This time, she actually entered college, leaving me hyperventilating in the middle of campus. I couldn't stop smiling, and nothing dampened my happiness all day.

However, when night came, nerves began to fill my body.

-Do you play in front of hundreds of people without shaking but get afraid of a girl? -Asked my friend as he helped me choose what to wear. It was the fifth outfit I rejected, and he was starting to get bored.-Remember me why I accept to help you? I simply choose the first thing I find. Why don't you try that?

-First, you're the only friend I have. Second, I can't wear the first thing I find. I have to show her that I don't think she's just any girl. But THE girl.

-I think THE girl will like you wearing anything.-He finished before lying on my bed and concentrating on a video game on his cellphone. For my part, I couldn't stop thinking about the clothes. I wanted to wear something that says "I love you, but I don't want you to think that I want to be more than friends. But I dream of being something more than your friend, without bothering you." How difficult was it to find something like that?