Chapter 19

"3. 2. 1"

"Let's go!!" I screamed when I made the last basket of the game. The girls came to hug me. This was the last game before the Christmas break, and we had beaten the Michigan Wolverines.

"I didn't mean that I'd say this, Gardner. But I'll miss playing with you." Sharice said as we entered the locker room, and I felt Masikewich put her arm around my shoulders.

"It'll only be two weeks, stupids." I laughed as I pushed my partner affectionately.

"Girls!" The excited coach yelled. "These achievements that you are getting are yours! No one is going to take them away from you. You are a great team, and I don't want you to forget the feeling of winning. These two weeks remember that feeling. However..." And at this moment, he crouched down and lowered his voice. "Never forget what it feels like to lose. That feeling. Painful and strong. It's not bad. It helps you improve. When you started, you were disconnected. You didn't know how to play together. And look at you now. You're more like a team."

Team.

*Flashback*

"Newton! Newton! Newton!" We were all screaming after winning our second championship together. Paige perched on my back, waving her shirt. While the other girls were partying with the students from our high school.

After a while, we all came back together and jumped between us.

"This feeling! Never forget it, girls!" Coach Crowley said. "You are the best team. And you always will be. You will always be a team."

"Sure!" Paige yelled. "I'd follow you to the end of the world, girls. You're my family."

We all laughed and teased her affectionately before continuing to party.

*End flashback*

I smiled, remembering that moment. After our third championship, the family split up, and we chose completely different universities. And now it was my turn to prove to everyone that I can beat the wonder team.

I walked out with Sharice clinging to my shoulder, still jumping with happiness. And we saw a cheerleader waiting on the field with a smile.

"Wow, what a nice welcome." Sharice said, joking, and I pushed her. "Have you thought about my proposal?" She reminded Izzie.

"Sorry. I highly doubt my girlfriend would like it." She replied as she approached me, standing on tiptoe, giving me a short kiss.

"Ouch." Sharice added, feigning puzzlement. After saying goodbye to both, she walked away to the showers.

"You should do the same." Izzie joked at the same time that I held her bag, placing it on my shoulder and then taking her hand, kissing it and starting to walk with her. I laughed, knowing I must be sucking up right now.

"I could. Or I could just do this." And I stopped to rub against her.

"Newton! Stop! Stop!" She said, laughing, trying to get away from me. At one point, she got it and started running through the corridors while some people looked at us with smiles. I quickly reached and held her carefully to pick her up and walk with her, who wrapped her legs around my waist.

"Have you thought about what to wear for Christmas yet?" She sighed and placed her head on my neck, which helped me see my way better.

"What if your parents don't like me?" she asked, shy.

"My mom will love you. My dad can't even stand himself, so his opinion doesn't count."

"I do care." She said, poking her head out of its hiding place and looking at me sadly. "You're my first girlfriend. I don't want to know that my first love's family hates me."