Chapter 31

CASEY'S POV

"Casey, will you take me to the vet? I want to buy Edison something." I heard my brother Sam ask, and I pulled the pillow off my head to glare at him. "Besides, mom wants you to buy some things for your classes."

I grunted, remembering that there were only two weeks left until classes begin again. My holidays hadn't been terrible as I thought, since my friends were with me the whole time. Nonetheless, Paige had to travel to Los Angeles to sign a new contract with Nike and hadn't returned yet. A month had passed since then, and to tell the truth, I missed her. 

Especially, when I passed my driving test. Paige had been the one who taught me everything, and I expected her to be here for that memorable day, however, all I got was a phone call.

NaLyssa was also acting strange, and every time I brought up Paige's situation, she would change the topic of conversation. Also, she was always nervous when next to me, hardly even looking at me.

"Okay, Sam. Let me go to the bathroom, and I'll go with you." I said hoarsely, and he nodded, frowning, walking out of my room.

I grabbed my cell phone, as usual, and went to Izzie's profile, like I always did. On one hand, I was excited to know that I would return to UCLA and see her again. But, I wasn't happy knowing she wouldn't be that happy to see me.

As always, her profile was without new activity. I felt sombre, knowing it was my fault and that she was not okay because of me. But I did it for us. It wasn't good for us to be together, especially since being with her was a distraction from the game against UCONN.

I sighed, getting up from the bed. A photo I had on my desk had fallen off, so I grabbed it and glued it in place. In it, Paige and I had won our second trophy with Newton, and she was on my back, holding the trophy. My wall had plenty of those photos, some with NaLyssa, Emily and Aliyah. But most were with the blonde. In some, we were little and playing in the snow or in the park. In others, we were in our Newton uniforms or partying. I smiled, touching the photo that had fallen out again.

In a way, I hated her for winning, but I understood. She did what she had to do to lead her team, which hadn't won since 2014, to glory. I couldn't hate her, even if I wanted to. After all, she was my best friend.

I sighed, remembering that now the blonde would be the one who beat Casey Gardner.

I walked to the bathroom, trying to ignore what I was feeling.

***

"Where's Paige?" Sam asked as I was looking at some jerseys in the sports section. I shrugged, trying not to care.

"In LA. She had to sign a contract with Nike." He nodded.

"And why hasn't she come back yet?"

"I don't know, Sam!" I said louder than expected, and my brother got scared. I sighed, trying to control myself. "I don't know. Maybe she wanted to enjoy her break there."

"Don't you find it strange that she hasn't told you?" He asked, looking at some shirts hanging, and I raised my eyebrow.

"I don't know, Sam. Forget it. How about this one?" I asked, showing him an Anthony Edwards T-shirt. He just shrugged and walked over to look at something else. I inspected the shirt again, remembering what my brother had said.

The whole situation seemed strange to me. Especially since the blonde had never done anything like this. We always told each other everything. Anger began to take over my body, and I squeezed the hanger hatefully. Maybe Paige thought that now that she had won, there was no point in being my friend anymore. I put the shirt back in its place and looked at the wall. I snorted as I noticed a giant photo of Paige modelling the new Jordan shoes. Previously, in every place where I shopped, there were pictures of me.