Should've Known

Shannon POV

I let out a sigh, rubbing my stomach as my baby kicked at my ribs.

"Alright let's settle down now. I know you miss your daddy, I miss him too, but kicking me isn't going to get his meeting to end any faster," I said crossly.

As our baby kicked me again I rolled my eyes, pushing myself to my feet and stretching with a wince.

"Ugh I need Gene to massage my back," I said under my breath, walking out of the dressing room in search of him.

I wandered the maze of hallways in the arena, hoping to find him, before perking up as I heard the sound of his voice.

"Oh no, no, I shouldn't, I can't," he said, and to my horror a female voice answered him.

"Ohh but you could. What she doesn't know won't hurt her, will it?"

"I—"

He fell silent and I stumbled around the corner just in time to see the woman stepping back from him, as if she had just broken away from a kiss.

"You asshole! I knew it!" I shrieked.

He jerked his head up, staring at me in horror.

"Shannon! Oh no babe please it's not what you think it is, I promise it's—"

"You fucking pig!" I screamed, shoving him away as he tried to get close to me, running back down the hall.

I ignored him shouting after me, bursting through the doors onto the street and hailing a cab, choking out the hotel address before bursting into tears in the backseat. I sobbed the whole ride to the hotel, shoving a crumpled handful of bills at the cabbie before stumbling to our room.

I laid on our bed, bawling, arms wrapped around my stomach. My baby squirmed around, as if they knew how distressed I was. It hurt so much worse than it had before. The fact he had promised, he had sworn up and down he would be faithful to me and only me, only to go behind my back and cheat on me again ripped my heart in two far more than it had when it was just the way things were.

Eventually my tears faded and I had washed my face, new sense of bitter determination surging through me. I just wouldn't acknowledge him, that's what I'd do. I'd ignore him, treat him as coldly as he treated me, only speaking to him when absolutely necessary. I wouldn't even let him lay a hand on me.

The room phone rang, snapping me out of my thoughts, and I answered it, crossing my fingers.

"Hello?"

Y/N: Shannon! Oh I've got the most wonderful news, are you in your room or still at the arena?

"I'm in my room! Gene isn't here, come over!" I said, excited to see what her news was.

Y/N: I'll be right over!

A minute later, there was a knock on my door and I pulled it open, laughing as Y/N threw her arms around me.

"My gosh you must have wonderful news! What happened? Did Eric propose?" I asked.

"No, no, but oh Shannon I'm pregnant, Eric and I are going to have a baby!" she said.

I hugged her back tightly, beaming.

"That's amazing! Y/N that's so, so wonderful! Oh I'm so happy for you, you're going to be wonderful parents! And how perfect, that our children will be only four months apart!" I said eagerly.

"It really is just perfect! Goodness I can't wait until my baby's as big as yours, until I can feel their kicks and all," she said, looking enviously at my stomach.

I giggled, giving her hand a squeeze.

"It'll be before you know it, don't you worry. How is Eric feeling?"

She let out a dreamy sigh, resting a hand on her heart.

"Oh he's so adorable! He's been talking non stop about all the things he's going to do with our baby, how excited he is to be a father! Somehow he's already gotten his hands on catalogues of baby things and keeps circling things he wants to buy for our baby. How have you and Gene been preparing?" she asked.

I looked at her for a moment, lip quivering, before shaking my head and beginning to cry quietly.

"He's preparing b-by cheating on me," I choked. "Oh Y-Y/N I'm such an idiot! I really am the-the biggest idiot to b-believe he'd actually change! Gosh I'm so fucking stupid!" I wailed.

She gave me a tight hug, rubbing me on the back but not saying much, and I knew it was because she agreed with me.