Chapter 22

I stood in the quidditch change rooms in no more than my bike pants and sports bra. My chest was heaving and my body was a sweaty mess. My hair was tied behind my head in a now messy ponytail and my quidditch gear was beside me, hanging on a hook.

We'd just had a match against Ravenclaw. And lost.

"For fuck's sake, it was all Rosier's fault." I told Lucinda angrily, "If he had just done his job as a keeper, we'd have fucking won."

"You should be more concerned about the stunt you pulled," Lucinda commented, pulling her shin guards off.

The stunt I pulled you might be asking?

It was my stunt. It was what I was known for on the quidditch field. The ball dropped and so did I. I fall off the broom, I plummet to my death but I get a hold of the ball. My broom follows me and centimetres from the ground I transfigure into my Animagus but only for a split second to break my fall. And by then, my broom is beside me and I'm back to myself with my leg hooked over it. And then I got the goal because everyone was so distracted by what I'd done. It was why my nickname was the bird.

"Please." I scoffed, leaning back as I tried to catch my breath.

Lucinda glanced down at my knees which were grazed, "Got a bit too close to the ground, Lil, thought you'd end up like Reg. Gave us all a fright."

"Well, they should know better." I shot her a grin,

"No." She pulled her hair out of the tight ponytail she had it in, "You shouldn't pull stunts like that."

"You heard the commentator." I pushed myself off the wall, "It's my move! I'm the bird! Been doing it since my second year and I always win with it. Tonight's loss had nothing to do with me."

"I know. But it's a team sport, might I remind you. It had to do with everyone." She corrected,

"We aren't going into the finals now!" I threw my hands up, "But bloody Gryffindor is! We're better than Gryffindor! We had a three-year streak and now because of those stupid second years. Useless, I tell you."

"Lil..."

I glanced behind me to see a useless second year, "Don't worry, wasn't talkin' about you. The cocky blokes." I turned back to Lucinda, "I fully believe the problem with the Slytherin team is that men think they're so much better than us."

"Yes, I'm aware. But, Lil, me and you along with Narcissa are the only women on the team."

"Exactly. So, the men are in their disgusting change room, raving about how it's all our fault because we are women! It's misogynistic."

"Lillian, you're speaking badly about the men."

"Because they're going to go get shitfaced and slut shame us because we don't shit gold. Trust me, I've heard it."

"How about we go get shitfaced with them?"

I groaned, turning to my things and stuffing my uniform into my bag, "Fine. So much for our last game ever."

"Not me. I got into ANQ." Lucinda smiled as she threw her duffle bag over her shoulder. I followed her actions.

"Holy shit!" It took me a moment to process, "You got in!?"

"Yep! My first game with them is against Argentina in July." She grinned,

"Luci! You're going to be playing for America!" I gave her a tight hug until I realized, pulling away slowly, "So, you're going back to America?"

"To California, on the other side of Boston, don't worry, Lillian. My family will only see my name in the paper as I become the greatest woman the quidditch world has ever seen." Lucinda said proudly,