Chapter 66

SIRIUS BLACK'S POV:

The sad thing was, the really sad thing was... I couldn't remember Lillian.

I couldn't remember her laugh or her smile or our memories... Only I loved her. I couldn't remember those special moments with her... Only she was my wife. I couldn't remember how bright her eyes were or how soft her skin was... Only we had a daughter. And I couldn't remember what she was like as a baby... Only her name was Cassiopeia Black.

That was all I remembered of my wife and daughter. Their names.

But it was the same as the headstones I sat beside. Marlene Mckinnon. I remembered Marlene, she was my friend. And James Potter. He was my best friend. And Regulus Black. He was my brother. And Lily Potter. She was my friend. And Peter Pettigrew. I thought he was my friend.

And though all I could remember of these people were names, I knew they once loved me. At least I hoped they did.

I was going back to my wife and daughter. Because my memories may have been sucked out of me by the torturous dementors but they could never steal the love I held for him.

Even though I couldn't recall their faces, I still had a love for Lillian Cox and our daughter, Cassiopeia Black.

And I'd go far for their love. I already had gone so far. But I hadn't gone far enough. I wondered how far I'd have to go. What I'd have to do to have my arms around my wife again.

I followed the knight bus through London, following Harry Potter's sent in my Animagus. I knew that name, I remembered that name, that was my godson. But that was all I remembered. I didn't remember whose eyes he had. I didn't remember anything. Only that his father was my best friend, my soulmate I'd go as far to say.

I remembered James was my soulmate. He made everything better. He saved me when no one else could. I remembered that. I remembered his body. I remembered his shattered glasses and I remembered his milky eyes. And I also remembered he loved me. That he was my best friend. But that was it...

The Marauders.

I remembered that name. Those were my friends. Moony came up with it, didn't he? Moony. That was Remus. I remembered that about Remus. He was my Moony. And Dominic. I remembered that Moony was his and he was Moony's.

The Leaky Cauldron was an old bar, ragged with drunks surrounding it. I barked at a man trying to pat me as I jumped onto old beer cartons to look inside the cracked window.

And there she was.

My heart rose to my throat.

Everything around me froze.

My heart seized to hammer in my chest.

I just stared at Lillian. My wife.

Her lips were moving, a kind smile on her lips as she spoke to an array of heads with dark hair.

She was as beautiful as the image that I'd carved into my mind. With long dark auburn hair, it was in a ponytail behind her head, strands hanging out. Her lips were full, that beautiful smile still on her lips. Her face had matured but she still looked youthful and bright and beautiful.

And her forest-like eyes. I hadn't been able to remember them for eleven years... And there they were. There she was. As exquisite and ravishing as the day I fell in love with her. And even if I couldn't remember the day I fell in love with her, I knew what it felt like because I'd just fallen in love all over again.

Maybe once she locks eyes with me, she'll fall in love with me all over again.

She was so beautiful. I couldn't tear my eyes off her. Because I'd spent twelve years trying to etch every part of her into my eyelids but I'd never gotten it quite right. But that didn't matter anymore. Because despite my inability to remember her face, I was looking at it then, and I knew her face. That was the face of the woman I fell in love with so many years ago.