Chapter 46

Deatheaters hadn't attacked since Wren's death and with Elliot on the loose, I didn't know what was happening.

I sat at their graves again.

There were five stages of grief. I'd passed through depression, denial, anger, bargaining, all except acceptance. I think I was finally accepting I'd never see them again. I was accepting Wren meant what she said and I'd accepted she probably meant what she said. And maybe what she'd said to me was harder to accept than her death.

I went back every week, placing flowers and sitting there for a while. I rubbed my tired eyes, watching the vibrant sunset fade to a dark night sky, the pinks and oranges fading to a midnight blue until it all went black. The stars shone high and proud, dangling from the sky. I noticed the moon. A full moon. 

"Shit," I muttered, standing up quickly and apparating back to where we met on full moons.

"I'm here. I'm here. Shit, sorry, I lost track of time." I grabbed James's shoulder, resting on it as I caught my breath. "Perfect timing." Peter had a reassuring smile on his face as he gestured to Remus transforming into his Werewolf form. We all turned into our Animagus. I rested on one of Prong's antlers, next to Wormtail. I flinched at Remus's transformation; I did every time.

The sheer sound of bone cracking and cries that came from him were unnerving in the worst ways possible. It made me sick. Every single time it made me sick. I couldn't imagine how painful such a transformation could be. Remus clawed at his chest and his face and his arms, the skin ripping apart and I had to close my eyes. It never got better. I tightened my grip on Prongs's antlers, listening to the agonizing scream before it became a howl.

 I glanced down at Padfoot, his thick black fur moving with the soft wind that rippled at my reddish-brown feathers. Remus let out a loud howl as I flew up above him, getting his attention and leading him deeper into the woods, the rest of the marauders following close behind. Padfoot ran by Remus's side, Prongs and Wormtail staying on his tail. 

The cleavage of the trees was thick and impossible to see through, covering the deep night sky, sly stars peeking through the cracks and keeping the forest floor from being completely black.

It went like this for most of the night, I flew above Remus, keeping an eye on what was in front of us and swooping down to his eye level, shoving myself against his head if he was getting too close to a neighborhood. It was a risky move but I'd figure out how to get an exact blindspot, leading him to be confused about where I actually was.

There was another howl that echoed in the woods and we all stood frozen while Remus took off. I was the quickest to go after him, right on his tail and getting ahead of him successfully even if it was incredibly exhausting. 

I could hear Padfoot, and Prongs close behind me when we reached the other werewolf. I flinched as it attacked Remus. I stood above it, hesitating where to attack in case I'd hurt Remus. I got the chance, prying the two apart as my claws push the other werewolf away from Remus before he got hurt. The werewolf I clawed cried out in pain as I unlatched my talons, noticing the blood I'd created. 

Deep breaths. I told myself repetitively, watching Padfoot try to draw Remus away. He towered over Padfoot, his paw swiping hard and fast at his face. Padfoot cried out in pain as I quickly swooped to him. James used his antlers to push Remus away as the other werewolf staggered to their feet.

I noticed the blood that soak through his coat, I took a shaky breath. Noticing Prongs still trying to get Remus off. I was still my Animagus. That was when I spotted something on the other werewolf. A big scar along his side. Like the one, I gave my father when he attacked me.