Chapter 27

He walked up to me, grabbing my arm, and shoving me behind him, "Let go of me." I winced,

Sirius held a wand at Barty, "Crucio." He said calmly, watching him curl into a ball at the torture curse.

"What are you doing here, Black?" I finally asked,

"Because he was my brother," Sirius told me.

"You didn't care for your brother. No, I was the one that had to care for him. You may as well be the reason he is dead! Because you were so fucking selfish! If you had just listened to him! If you had helped him, get away from your abusive home, he wouldn't have become a death eater and he wouldn't have killed himself! You are the reason he is dead."

"No, I'm not." Sirius shook his head,

"Aren't you? You've already almost caused it once. What say you pushed it again? But this time clearly, he took it too far. Drowning himself."

"Shut up." He said,

"Why? Does it hurt you? Does it hurt knowing your little brother died at eighteen because you were too selfish! He loved you, Sirius! He loved you more than he ever loved me and I knew he would've always chosen his older brother over me! But I was the one who did everything for him! You have no idea how it feels! Because I've always been the one cleaning up his blood! I've always been the one getting him to the hospital! I've always been the one who let him cry! But he would still choose his brother who only caused the pain."

"And he came to my doorstep on his knees, begging for me to tell him where you were!" He shouted, "You didn't show up to Lily's wedding! Lily cried because you weren't there! Because you were off in France to what I thought having the time of your life! Regulus begged and pleaded to know where you were! But I didn't know... No one did."

"Because I was lying in a pool of my own blood." I said, "Because I was getting beaten by the man I loved! I could've shown up in the state I was, but I didn't because I knew it'd ruin Lily!" I ran a hand down my face, "I've got places to be."

"You're coming back with me," Sirius said angrily, keeping a tight hold of my arm as he apparated us back.

"Stop." I winced again, "Stop, you're hurting me." Sirius let go of the tight grip on my arm and I stumbled to the ground.

We were back at Godric Hollow. "Lillian?" Lily asked in disbelief,

"I kind of thought you were dead," Peter said,

"Yeah, well, I'm not."

"When'd you get released from the hospital? We would've come and picked you up." James said,

"You look dead," Remus told me,

"Because I've been living off those jelly cups for the past four weeks. I had forty-five of them."

"Why did Sirius just drag you in like a dog with a bird?" Peter asked.

Everyone looked at him. Everyone was silent, waiting for him to realize what he'd said.

"Oh. Oh." He gasped,

"She was holding a wand to her neck, threatening to kill herself again." Sirius took a seat on the sofa, he went to place his arm around Mary, but she refused, standing up and walking away from him.

"I was actually bargaining." I countered, stumbling to my feet, "You see, turns out. Voldemort wants me very much alive. And so does Elliot, turns out he was a death eater in disguise which I dunno' how I missed it, but I did."

"What were you bargaining for?"

"Oh, oh, that's right." I started again, holding up my index finger, "If I didn't kill myself, James and Lily and baby would have immunity from Voldemort. And I'm sorry about what I said in the hospital. I don't really know why I said it. I was kind of like everything was ringing in my ears – I can't explain it – I just – It was like –"