Chapter 23

Sirius's embraced me tightly as he slept. With his chest pressed to my back and his head buried into the crook of my neck, I didn't want to leave it. But as his breaths grew even and the rise and falls of his chest grew slow, I knew I could not stay in his embrace any longer.

Slowly, I escaped his loving arms and instead left it for the cold breeze that flushed the abandoned hallways deep in the dungeons. With only a faint candle lighting my surroundings as I travelled deeper into the dungeons, I worried I was lost. 

"Cox," Evan spoke up, making me snap my head to him,

"There you are," I sighed, hastily making my way to him, 

"What took you so long?" Regulus pried,

"I had to come from Gryffindor Tower,"

The two exchanged glances before turning back to me, "Well, that's got to end,"

"Why?" I swallowed, folding my arms over my chest,

"Half the Wizarding World wants you dead," Regulus scoffed, "Not to mention the dementors the Ministry intends on sending after you,"

"Dementors?" I raised my eyebrows,

"The mysterious death of Barren Thompson has been uncovered, they believe you to be his killer,"

"How was it uncovered? You said Voldemort covered it up---"

"There's a mole," Evan interrupted, "We suspect Mucibler."

I inhaled and swallowed again, "What do I do?"

"You're safe from Voldemort right now," Regulus paused, "But you graduate in two weeks, then you will not be... For the dementors, I don't know,"

"How do I escape them? What do I do if I end up in Azkaban?" I pleaded,

"You can escape Azkaban," Evan whispered, "You're an illegal Animagus -- No one but us know---"

"Sirius knows," I bit the inside of my cheek,

"Do the rest?" 

Slowly, I nodded, lowering my head shamefully,

"Why the fuck did you tell them? You know they'll rat you out to Dumbledore -- When they hear about what you've done -- They will make sure you can never escape Azkaban," Reg snapped, viciously,

I continued to chew on the inside of my cheek, beginning to defend them only for Evan to speak over me,

"From now on, we are the only people you can trust," 

"Why is that?"

"Because if anyone else is threatened by Voldemort, they will tell him exactly where you are,"

"What if he uses the imperious curse on you?"

"We can fight it," Said Regulus, "We won't tell anyone where you go,"

"But France isn't far,"

"It's far enough. There is a war a midst us -- Voldemort cannot travel to a different country -- If he does, we will get to you before him." Evan reassured, "But as long as you keep your head down and attain a muggle identity, there will be no trace of you,"

"Will you come and visit me?"

"We can't risk it,"

Eagles were solitary creatures, after all. It was for the best.

"That's why you've got to stop going up to that tower, it's time to break it off with Sirius, Lil," Regulus sighed, leaning against the cobblestone wall behind us.