Chapter 28

SIRIUS BLACK'S POV:

I had been chasing Lillian for hours. She refused to stop and so did I. She'd flown out of Paris. I'd visited Versailles while she flew over the great palace which was larger than James's appetite and I think we were in Angerville. Which was a suitable town for Lillian to finally lower herself to a tree outside a small cafe considering how damn far I'd run.

Instinctively, I began to bark. Throaty loud barks made her squawk loudly in response, flapping her wings. I sat down, continuing to bark at the eagle that continued to squawk back.

"Quelqu'un attrape ce chien !" An old angry French man shouted at me,

Someone catch that dog!

I refused to lose Lillian again as I yapped and jumped at her but she didn't move, watching men approach me.

A sharp metal wire was around my neck, cutting off my breath. I continued to bark, pulling against it and refusing to stop barking until she came down. "Allez, garçon !" The man holding the metal hook around my neck pulled at it which made a loud cry leave my mouth.
"C'est juste un oiseau !"

Come, boy! It's just a bird!

I only barked louder, my voice box beginning to tear as the metal rubbed against my dark fur. I couldn't quite register what happened next, only that Lillian swooped down – but not at me – at the man holding me.

There was a loud scream and the sound of flesh tearing but the wire I was being choked by loosened until it was lifted up. I swivelled my head to look at Lillian holding it as she flew over my head and pulled the hook off me. I barked weakly at her, panting with a smile but the angry bird just squawked and took off again.

I didn't hesitate to follow this time. I sprinted after Lillian and followed her into an alleyway where she transfigured back into herself. I did too, accidentally stumbling into her which made her topple to the ground. I wrapped my arms around her and spun her so I got the fall damage. Lillian's elbow collided with my chest and a deep rasp left my throat.

"Jesus Christ, Black." She shuffled off of me, helping me to my feet where I immediately rubbed my throbbing neck. "That hurt," I said but my voice was scratchy.

"Come here." She murmured, brushing herself off and approaching me. She leaned up and for a moment I thought she was going to kiss me. But she placed her hand on my neck with a sad expression. Her hands were as cold as I remembered. "I should've done something sooner, Sirius, I'm sorry."

"It's okay," I reassured, taking her hands but she pulled them away.

"I didn't think you'd actually chase me so far," Lillian murmured, leaning against the wall as people began to scream in horror at the man's torn-apart face. "Yeah, well, it was too late to turn back." I folded my arms over my chest as I recalled the argument with Mary.

"I gathered. You didn't need to bark like a loony mutt." She lit a cigarette,

"You didn't need to sit in a tree for half an hour." I retorted,

"If you'd quit barking, I'd have come down in my own time."

"Your own time, huh?" I raised my eyebrows at her.

"Until you'd given up on me." She gave me a small smirk.

Why would I ever give up on you?

"Where were you even going, Lillian?" I finally asked,

Lillian just shrugged, "As far away from all of this."

"All of what?"

"This." She tilted her head at the screaming men as they tried to hunt a bird and a dog.