Love

"Are we there yet" Michael sighed letting his head fall onto my shoulder. "Mike it's been ten minutes how impatient are you?" I chuckled back sleepily; he let out another sigh and was silent for a few moments. "What about now?" he yelled into my ear causing me to jump, "Yes we're there" I rolled my eyes sarcastically "Really?" He yelled in excitement bouncing like a little kid "No." I slapped him on the shoulder for making me jump. A good ten minutes passed, the sun was now peaking through the clouds and fighting off the rain lighting the carriage that we were sat in. The train was packed full of families with kids screaming and shouting over seats about their older siblings stealing their sweets. Me and Michael were sat in a cosy two seater, we were close enough that I could hear him breathing.
"So what exactly are we?" Michael sat up. The silence filled the seats in which we sat and immediately I knew I shouldn't have let the words slip from my mouth. "Who said we need a label? Can't we just go with it?" Michael bit his lip as I stared at the ground full of awkwardness. Now would be a perfect time for the ticket man to check our tickets.

"I really like you Michael and you've told me you like me too.." I heard small laugh fall from Michael's mouth as he stared out of the window "You're an ass" I scowled the anger evident in my voice "so what Lauren you're just as bad at times" He spat back "I actually thought this might be going somewhere" I scoffed my eyes threatening to spill, "I don't do relationships" his hand scratched the stubble along his jawline, something I had grown to realise he did when he was nervous or worried. "Why?" I was done with his constant excuse with no reasoning behind it. "I just don't, I mess them up or I get messed over. What's the point in love if it never lasts?" He pulled at his socks that were tucked into his black DMs. "You must have been pretty fucked over to think like that" I frowned as he let out a soft laugh "So basically you don't want to fall in love" I nodded the frown growing evident on my face "I'll never fall in love" he swears running his hand through his hair, I laugh because I hope he's wrong.

"So we kiss, we cuddle, we talk and that doesn't mean anything to you? We act like a couple Michael" I regret my actions towards him during the pass few weeks, suddenly feeling used. "No, I mean yes. I don't know and no we don't" I feel stupid, walking into this with my eyes wide open, with nobody but myself to blame. I fell for the boy who has no feelings. "Okay whatever".

"Have you ever been in love?" The question caught me off guard and surprised me slightly; Michael's green eyes pierced the side of my face as I thought out my answer. Breathing heavily in and out I simply felt defeated and replied with a simple "Yes" I sighed. "And it clearly ended bad.." He went on, I nodded slowly "he cheated on me" I felt the tears collect in my eyes, knowing exactly where this conversation was leading. "So did my ex, so that's why I don't do love anymore, fear of being hurt"

"Who came up with the term cheating, anyway Michael? A cheater, Imagine. Someone who thought 'liar' was too harsh. Someone who thought 'devastator' was too emotional. The same person that thought 'Oops, they've gotten caught with their hand in the cookie jar'. Fuck them. This isn't about slipping an extra twenty pound of Monopoly money. This was our lives. They went and broke our lives. They are so much worse that a cheater. She killed something in you" I was pissed off that there was a girl out there that Michael could trust, that he let get to him and then broke him stopping every chance I ever had to fix him again. I had finally lost it, my heart had finally decided to give way and break into a million pieces not for myself but for Michael.

"Alright enough of this shit. Today we are going to the beach to eat ice cream in the pouring rain and ride on the roller coasters and you are going to plant a fucking smile of your beautiful face whether you like it or not, are we clear?" his green eyes glistened with desperation as he made my head nod with his hand, letting out a faint laugh we locked our eyes on each others.

*We are now approaching Portsmouth and South Sea, will customers please mind the gap when alighting from the train. Thank you for travelling with us today.* A voice interrupted my thoughts. "We're here" was all that managed to escape my mouth.

**
"Michael don't you even think about it!" I squealed running from the childish man chasing me with his hands covered in ice cream. "But Laaaaureee n, this would look so good all over your face!" he chanted back staring at his hands. "I swear if you come any closer this cotton candy will be in your perfectly combed hair! Are we clear?" I waved the cotton candy in front of him and he swerved it as if it was fire. "Now that, that's pure evil" he tilted his head to the side - a smirk playing on his lips as if he was planning on something evil. We stood about five paces away from each other, Michael held out his hands as his weapon and I held out my cotton candy stick as mine. The world passed by, adults and their children ran past, swerving in and out from where we stood staring at each other, the rain had started to drizzle once more but that wasn't stopping mine or Michael's fun.

Michael gently and silently placed one foot in front of the other probably hoping that I hadn't noticed. "Come closer pretty boy, I dare you" I threatened raising my eyebrow, pouting, a little laugh escaped from his lips before he dived towards me making me throw the cotton candy to the floor in surprise. His hands cupped my cheeks and our eyes connected, I could have sworn that his lips were getting closer to mine but before I knew it his finger met my nose and reality hit me.

I was now covered in Ice cream.

"I hate you" I whispered through my lips, rubbing the stickiness of my face with the hoodie I was wearing. "Mhhmm" Michael murmured smugly in success, I hit him on his shoulder trying not to smile because I was mad at him. "You owe me cotton candy, you made me drop mine" I stared at the lump of pink fluff that had landed in a puddle it was gently dissolving. "Payback" He stated back leaving me confused "Payback for what exactly Clifford?" I raised my eyebrow staring him straight in the face, "Fifa and cheating" the smirked that played on his lips was now a full on smile, and my serious face broke out in a laugh "I still hate you" I pushed his shoulder and he grabbed it and acted in pain "You'll love me again in five minutes" he winked, "Come on we should get home" He beckoned me towards the train station I ran after him leaping onto his back bringing my mouth to his ear. "Giddy up horsey" a few laughs left my lips.