Sorry

I lay in the same bed that I had for the past fourteen days, gradually becoming accustomed to my surroundings. Everyday was a struggle, but everyday I told myself not to give up. My love for Michael was constant and I had grown to accept that and tried to move on. The nights were the worst, going from having Michael with me to not having him at all was a shock to my system. I'd gone from hearing his heart beat next to me to hearing his voice in my nightmares.

They were always the same, always ending the same. I stood facing Michael in an unfamiliar room which was only light enough for me to make out his features and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't reach out for him. My screams were muffled and I felt suffocated in the darkness surrounding us - the one sentence loud enough for us both to hear came from Michael every time. "I don't love you, I could never love you". The words hit me harder than the darkness every time.

Rolling over I faced the alarm clock that flashed 4:00 am in faint red characters. I rose ignoring the fact that there was well over four hours until school started making my way to the shower. I let the beads of water gently collide against my warm skin goosebumps rising on my skin as a reaction from the cold water. It didn't bother me though, nothing seemed to bother me anymore. I stood facing up towards the shower letting the cold water drown out my thoughts. As my skin started to fade to blue and my lip began to shiver was the exact moment I decided it was probably best to leave the shower and get ready for school. Patting my skin dry I threw on my sweats and a large jumper that I realised was Harry's once it was over my head. For a summers day it sure was freezing, but then again maybe that was because the sun hadn't even risen yet. Throwing my revision notes and textbooks into my backpack a small relief washes over me knowing today is my last exam, I could cram a few hours of revision in that is if the library was open at this ridiculous hour.

Throwing my backpack over my shoulder I made my way to the front door, "Lauren is that you?" The voice whispered through the dark hall. For a moment I considered ignoring the call and fleeing but after careful consideration I doubt I had the energy to do so. "Yeah?" I mumbled and from the darkness emerged Mrs Styles dressed in her pink chequered pyjamas with a silk dressing gown wrapped round her shoulders. "Where the hell are you off to at the hour?" In her hands she carefully clutched onto a cup of what I assumed was warm coffee "Urh, I couldn't really sleep so I thought I'd head in to school to be honest" her eyes cowered in disapproval a sigh falling from her lips. "Lauren. Sweetheart, I'm not going to give you a pep talk I'm sure you've heard it all from your mum, from Harry and from anyone else for that matter. But what I will say is this, no matter how much shit someone puts you through that doesn't mean you have to treat yourself bad too honey. You must have lost a stone in 14 days, when was the last time you ate properly? When was the last time you slept properly?" Thinking about it she made complete sense. But no matter how hard I tried, every time I placed an item of food in my mouth I felt uncontrollably sick. Every time I closed my eyes I would become restless. "How are you supposed to concentrate during the most important exams of your life?" Within to seconds the general chat had gone to a pep talk - that was just a little too late considering my last exam was today."I know, can I go now?" I starred at the ground, refusing to allow eye contact to occur "Let me make you some toast, and when you eat it then I'll drive you in".

***
Michael's POV
I lay facing the ceiling, my hand every so often raising to scratch the stubble that now covered my once clean shaven chin. Grabbing my phone in the darkness the screen beamed with life temporarily blinding me, the white digits indicated that it was 4:00am and the green bubble indicated that I had no new messages as a pang of sadness echoed throughout my body. I threw myself from my bed and chucked on the clothes nearest to me not even bothering with showering. I paced along the landing before grabbing the large metal handle and entering her room. The gust of cold wind hit my face first, the window had be left wide open I could just see her complaining about the temperature for a summer month. Her perfume still lingered in the room I frowned slightly as I placed myself on the edge of her bed. Six Polaroids were placed on her bedside table, five of us making stupid faces and the sixth was of her and Luke. She looked sad, she wasn't looking into the camera more at the person standing behind it. She was looking at me.

"What are you thinking about?" The voice surprised me, I had had such limited social interaction in the past 14 days. "That I am an absolute ass. I miss her so much" I sadly smiled throwing the Polaroids into the centre of the bed. "She misses you too" I rose my eyebrows making eye contact with the woman standing before me, she nodded as she took a seat next to me. "Michael, I'm a strong believer of things happening for a reason. Maybe things fell apart so you could fall closer together. Or maybe you both needed to realise what you had and you both needed to be apart for it to happen. I don't know. But what you're doing to yourself isn't healthy, you need to clear your mind, let her have space and just concentrate on yourself for a little while. Take a shower, put on some clean clothes for the love of God and try a new frame of mind" I smiled as she embraced me in her arms "Lauren's lucky to have you as a mum" I could hear her smile as I spoke.

***
Michael: I know we aren't talking but good luck today.

Lauren: Thank you. You too.

Michael: When are you coming home?

Lauren: Don't.

Michael: Don't what? It's been 2 weeks Lauren isn't that enough time?

Lauren: Apparently not

Michael: what does that even mean?

Lauren: You're still trying to argue with me

Michael: What? No I'm not, I just want you home

Lauren: Well I don't want to be home, and I'd also really appreciate if you didn't make an appearance at prom either.

Michael: What?! Why?
Michael: Lauren?
Michael: ??
Michael: if you honestly don't want me there then fine, I won't show up I know how much it means to you. I really wasn't trying to argue Lau I just miss you and I know everyone else does too. I'm sorry.