Listen

The cab ride home was silent, I didn't know what to say and neither did Luke, Harry or Calum. I was substantially more sober than I had been over 20 minutes ago. "Thanks" I mumbled twiddling my fingers desperately praying I wouldn't cry. "Hey, what are friends for?" Calum playfully nudged me. "You know they say bassists have big hands" I mumble again, in hope of lighting the conversation, Calum's eyebrows rise as Harry continues to stare out of the window his face hard as stone "You heard about that then?" I nod, smiling sadly, "I guess I do have big hands" he held them in front of his face examining them.

The cab pulled up beside my house, "You guys can stay, my mum won't mind" I offer, speaking for my mother. "No you're alright my mum will be worrying" Calum smiles, embracing me in his arms "Same" Luke chuckled placing a kiss on my forehead "Harry?" I smile desperately hoping he'd agree, a secret plea written across my face. He pulls out his mobile, probably checking the time before silently nodding, still not saying a word. "Here's £10, it will cover our third" I toss them two £5 notes before climbing out of the cab.

"So, it's clearly your mum does mind" Harry whispers into the darkness "Harry unless you want your ass kicked I suggest you shut up" I hiss back, taking his hand in mine guiding him through the darkness a low throaty chuckle sounded before a huge thud and a mass of swear words. Moment of silence fill the air neither of us daring to move "Michael?" My mums voice called from the landing, I hold my hand over Harry's mouth "Urh no mum, it's me, just getting a glass of water" I chuckle with nerves, praying she'll believe me. "If I come down stairs am I going to like what I see?" She questions her voice almost a whisper "Depends" I state my hand still firmly over Harry's mouth his tongue licking the palm of my hand to put me off, I had never ever been a good liar. "I mean.." I start laughing "Lauren is there a boy down there with you?" She questions her voice getting progressively more inpatient. "God no" I shriek "It's just Harry" I give the whole game away expecting to be severely punished, earning a small smack from Harry I finally realised what I had said. Sending me I to a further fit of giggles. "Alright" She sighs, clearly fed up of my behaviour lately however she had always been fond of Harry "I'm going to pretend this conversation didn't happen. Good night" She mumbles "Goodnight Mrs Wheeler" Harry offers back in his low raspy voice. "Night Harry" I could her the smile in her voice as she closes her bedroom door.

"Can I turn the light on now?" Harry questions innocently still standing against the wall where I had pushed him. I nod suddenly realising that he couldn't see me, fumbling against the wall I find the switch lighting up the hallway. Harry's face creases up at the sight of me "Nah changed my mind you look better with the lights off" he jokes, pulling me in for a hug, me not knowing whether to cry or laugh about the situation. "He's no good" Harry comments, choking on the lump in my throat the tears begin to spill again "I know" I finally admit, my back pocket began to vibrate, releasing myself from the hug I pull out my phone checking the text 'Babe where are u? X' I laugh miserably not even needing to check the called ID before bluntly replying 'at home' Tossing my mobile into the dish that held everyone's keys I take Harry's hand leading him to my room.

"We can top and tail?" He suggests, hovering over my bed shirtless his tattooed torso on full display "Harry shut up we aren't twelve anymore" I launch a pillow at him, it slowly skims across the side of his face as he dodges landing carelessly on a pile of school work. "But like what if I catch cooties" he scrunches his face up in horror his dimples more evident than usual "I thought it was you who had cooties? That's what my mum said anyway" I laugh at his reaction throwing my head back on the pillow, Harry joining my side. "Hey remember when" I begin "We were in primary school, year four I think and that kid Jamie was a complete arsehole to me. So at lunch when he opened his Frube you squeezed the end of it and he got covered in yoghurt" I snort, laughing at the memory "Or when" Harry offered "That girl, I can't even remember her name the one with the glasses? Blonde hair? Teachers pet?" I nod in the darkness remembering the girl in question "She got mad and kept writing over my work because the one time I actually did my homework it was better than hers and I got a head teachers award. So you kept hiding her pens and finally she got her pen licence taken away" Harry's laughs take over the room as I close my eyes.

"Life was so easy back then, things couldn't be more different now" I love looking back on happy times, but nowadays all they do is remind me of how things couldn't be worse. "We still make a good team though" Harry whispers into my ear, "Of course we do, was it not last week I slapped that girl for calling you a man whore?" I turn to him, seeing the smile painted on his face "Would you like me to cover Michael in yoghurt?" My face that was once threatening to spill out with tears was now crying with laughter "Preferably the apricot yoghurt, not really a fan" I comment, seriousness evident in my voice. "He wouldn't treat you right" Harry comments, the seriousness now evident in his voice. "You're wrong" I mumble, "I mean, he does treat me right and so much more when we're alone I don't stop smiling. When things are good, they're great. But when we argue, it couldn't be worse. It's like there's two Michael's one I'm carelessly in love with but the other I hate with a passion" I pause for a moment "Harry what am I even saying, he's single he can do what he wants" I chuckle picking at the edge of my bed sheet, Harry's arms around my waist. "You don't just lead a girl on like that though" I look back into is emerald eyes noting how similar they were to Michael's "No, but he can can't he? I was just stupid enough to let him get to me. My fault" I chuckle close to tears once again.

"His fault. His loss, now sleep" Harry plants a small kiss on my cheek "Thank you" I mumble checking the clock that read '12:30am' "For?" He questions eyes sealed shut "Being you, for being awesome. Thank you for just being there. I love you" a small grunt falls from his lips and for someone who was so consistent with top and tailing he really didn't mind getting up close and personal. I let a small laugh leave my lips noticing how dead his arm will feel in the morning after baring my weight for 8 hours.

An hour passed. My eyes were still wide open, watching the shadows move in the dark. My mind going over and over tonight's events. Light snores fell from Harry's mouth and I smiled into the heap of curls that lay against my shoulder. I really like Michael, but if this is how it's going to be every time he goes out I really could do without it. He isn't mine, I can't tell him what not to do but I can tell him to stop leading me on.

The noise of someone trying to close the front door quietly crept underneath my doorframe and into my room. My heart began to race out of my control, the landing light was switched on as the beams of light tried to escape into my room and slow heavy footprints fell against the stairs. This was either an axe murderer or Michael and the thought of either one was enough to send my body into a coma of fright. As the door to my room was pushed open, my eyes adjusted to the light leaving me in a moment of blindness.

Michael stood tauntingly in the door way, his eyes diverting from me to Harry as small sarcastic laughs fell from his lips. He was clearly still very drunk. "Congratulations Lauren" He claps his hands together in a slow movement his lips forming a neat line on his face. "The award of biggest hoe goes to you" my eyes widen at his very large accusation. Pulling myself from Harry's grasp, I join Michael on the landing. "You're pathetic do you know that?" I question towards Michael who was now sat on the last step of the stairs, head against the wall. "Know what's pathetic? The fact that I could
have easily slept with Rhiannon tonight but didn't because all I could think about was you" he spat, I laughed coldly "That's not pathetic. That's loyalty learn the difference" I was stood behind him as he ran his fingers through his hair "It's girls like you that need to learn the term loyalty" his hands were now clenched into a fist "If you really think that low of me, you don't even deserve an explanation. Why don't you go find Rhiannon and finish what you started" his body shot up as I finished my sentence, his body turning to face me guilt written all over his face - unaware of how I knew. "Lauren.." His features had softened back into the Michael I know and love, I shook my head refusing to make eye contact - knowing if I did I'd just forgive him there and then.

"How dare you play with my emotions, I'm not a toy Michael. You can't drop me and pick me up when you feel like it. I refuse to be just another number to you" I whispered hurt dripping from every word, I was surprised of how my mother hadn't heard us arguing. "Lauren listen" Michael continued, lifting his hand and pressing it against my cheek, turning away I smiled "Stay out of my way from now on. I'm done." I let a single tear roll down my face walking away.

I knew I may be over reacting, but when you've been in a relationship that makes you reevaluate your whole perception of love because of the way you were treated you'd do anything to never go there again.