Chapter 8: A New Year's Wish

A few days later (Natsu's POV)

December went by pretty quickly. Before I knew it, it was the last week of the year. That means New Year's cleaning. Everyone at Shigure's place was pretty busy with the cleaning. Kyo, Yuki, and I were fixing the sliding doors while Tohru was scrubbing the floor.

"Tohru!" I called out. "You sure you don't need my help?"

"It's okay, Nee-chan!" she smiled at me. "I can do it by myself!"

I smiled back at her cherry mode.

"Well, if you say so." I said.

"Is New Year's cleaning really that much fun?" Kyo asked Tohru.

"Yes! Getting to clean house with all of you is like a dream." She responded.

Kyo slightly blushed when Tohru smiled at him. I smirked.

Somebody's got a crush~

While we were busy with our assigned chores, Shigure was busy cleaning his study room.

"Hey, Shigure." I called out.

Shigure turned around to look at me.

"Hmm? What is it?" he asked.

"Our Grandfather contacted us and us that the family is going to Hawaii for New Year's. So... would it be alright if Tohru and I stayed here for New Year's?" I asked.

Shigure rubbed the back of his neck and chuckled sheepishly.

"Well, of course. But the thing is..." he trailed off.

"Huh? Is there any problem?" I asked.

Later Shigure informed me and Tohru that the Sohmas would be spending New Year's Eve at the Sohmas' family estate for the banquet. But both Kyo and Yuki refused to go and attend the banquet. Later that evening, we sat down to have dinner and the Sohma men were still arguing about the banquet.

"I won't go home!" the boys exclaimed in unison.

"I've gone home for four months and you think I'll do it now for the New Year's?" Kyo stated.

"If show up for the banquet now, what was the point of me leaving that place?" Yuki added.

Shigure tried to compromise with them but they immediately shut him off.

"Such a pain..." Shigure sighed.

Tohru walked in from the kitchen and asked why they were all arguing. Shigure anime cried and explained the whole situation. Shigure even explained about the zodiac banquet and the dance Yuki would be performing this year at the banquet. Yuki immediately shut him off by throwing a few pieces of lemon on his face. Tohru was excited upon hearing the information, however, a gloomy aura was emitting from Kyo when the discussion of the banquet was going on.

Of course, he isn't allowed to join the banquet for being the Year of the Cat...

Poor Kyo...

I sighed and then looked at the boys.

"Yuki, Kyo." I called out, making them look at me. "You should go. It's tradition after all. It'd be nice to see your family. It's surely an important event if everyone gathers together on this evening. Please, I'd feel awful if you two didn't attend. I'm sure Tohru would as well."

"If we go back to the Sohma house, we'll have to stay until the third, won't we? For three days, we'd be leaving two here all alone." Yuki said.

"That shouldn't be an issue. Tohru and I can take care of the home. We'll be fine. Don't worry. Plus, we aren't actually alone. We have each other. We also both want you all to be happy, so go and enjoy yourselves. Everyone is looking forward to this event, so it'd be a shame to miss it. I'm sure your parents would love to see you as well. All of you should go." I stated.