Chapter 3: Boredom

Sitting on my bed, I close the book I just finished reading and sigh. I jump off the bed, walking toward the bookshelf on the wall next to the bed, and put the book back. Another one finished....

It's been 7 years since I've come here. I've gotten used to living this lavish life, but I still don't feel comfortable indulging in luxury, since I come from a humble background, I feel most at peace knowing I can take care of myself without the help of attendants. At first, they were persistent it getting me dresses and bringing me breakfast, but after I woke up early and got dressed myself before they could get to me, they stopped coming. 

My life hasn't changed much, well other than the fact I'm not a baby anymore, but other than that, it's the same. I don't see the Duke often, since he is busy with work, and the times I do see Alice, she runs away from me as fast as possible, although she is 2 years older, she's still a little kid. 

I wanted to talk to her at least once, and try to end up on good terms with her, but I still have never gotten the chance to do that. Maybe it's because of my face. I looked at myself in the mirror. My hair was dark black, similar to the Duke's, my eyes though were yellow, must be a gene I've inherited from my mother. My face is still and emotionless, it's been that way for all these years, I've realized that I can't really move my face easily, It took me an hour to try and smile, but it ended up looking strained and ugly, so I decided to just give up. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While being here, I realized that there isn't much to do here. I can't go outside without supervision, there are no manga's or TV, obviously. My only source of entertainment was these books. I also read novels in my past life, but they were mostly fantasy, but I've had the lower my standards ever since I've come here.

 So, that's why I've snuck out to the garden alone. It's big enough so that I could hide from the servants who might be looking through the window. 

Walking through the many paths that go along the garden, I observed the flowers. Since this is a Duke's household, I have no doubt that these flowers are very well kept, and you can see that. I bet there's an entire team of gardeners who keep this garden together for it to look like this.

I stumbled upon a little pond, and in the shade of a few trees I see Alice, snoozing off, leaning against a tree. I quietly make my way to her. I know how she looked when she was older, and I can't say she wasn't pretty, but the little girl in front of me is really cute. 

Her long black hair tied in two pigtails, going down to her shoulders. I really have a soft spot for little kids. It reminded me of my sister from my previous life. Before she knew about otome games and before she became obsessed with them, she was really cute. I loved being the older brother. And although Alice is technically older than me in this life, I'm still mentally older than her. 

She slowly opened her eyes, seeming to wake up. 

"Good afternoon." I said in a casual tone.