Chapter 14: In a moment of panic

I was nervous. After class, I had to collect my thoughts. I thought as long as I don't come anywhere near Violet's group, we would be safe. But it turns out she's gonna be right next to us!

But that was not the main thought going through my head right now. Ceil said the professor assigned Violet to us, but Curtis said that she had been bothering them for a while. So that means, she had probably been asking to go to the expedition with us, because in the game, you can choose who to go to the expedition with.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I asked. Ceil turned to me confused. "Why didn't you tell me that she's been bothering you?" I asked.

Ceil seemed surprised that I had figured this out. But then, he probably figured out that Curtis said something, he clicked his tongue and sighed. "It's just not something you needed to worry about, it's not anything important." He said back.

I felt my chest tighten. "But I'm your best friend, aren't I? We have shared our troubles with each other forever, no?" Ceil is a person who I could open up about anything.

"Well, not everything, it seems." He said, in a much colder tone.

"What are you talking about? I don't think I have ever not told him anything.

"You've been hiding something recently, haven't you? I see you being nervous all the time, more than before. And when I asked you, you said it was fine, and that I didn't need to worry." I could feel my heartbeat quicken. Ah, yeah. I haven't told anyone about me being reincarnated, for obvious reasons. But it was Ceil, I really couldn't hide anything from him.

"But it's not anything important! I'm just anxious that's all!" I tried to make my way through this conversation.

"Now you're just lying." Ceil said, looking kind of disappointed and sad.

"I would never ask you to tell me something very personal about you, but i've seen how anxious and nervous you are getting. I can see that there's a problem, but you won't let me help!" He continued.

"....I'm sorry..." I lowered my head. I didn't know what to say to that. My reincarnation is something that most people won't believe, and even though I want to tell him, I doubt he'll believe me.

Ceil turned around and walked away.

——————————————————————-

It's been a few days. I knew Ceil was mad at me, so I just tried to avoid him. Well, that's not the only reason I'm avoiding him. I really don't know what to say to him after that conversation. It was kind of scary. I didn't want our friendship to end, just because I couldn't tell him something. But that something is my past life!

And also, I had another thing to be worried about. It was the expedition. In the game, the heroine goes together in a group with her preferred capture target.

During the expedition though, Violet uses her light magic, and that attracts very special kinds of beasts, the ones who are conscious, the ones who can think past instincts, demons.

Originally, there shouldn't be any demons in the forest we're going for our expedition. But, because demons are attracted to light magic, they came running, and they were not alone. It resulted in a lot of people getting injured. But not the heroine, because she was protected by the capture target.

If we go on this expedition, then there's a good chance that she's gonna use light magic, meaning demons are gonna come. I don't know how this is gonna end, we could all get really injured!

————————————————————————

It was the day of the expedition. I still haven't spoken to Ceil. It was kind of awkward standing next to each other, saying nothing, all the way to the part of the forest we were assigned to, where Ceil just said, "let's go".

Alice noticed this atmosphere, and decided to ask me, "Hey, what's this? Why aren't you talking with him? And I haven't seen you at school with him that much anymore, what's happening?" She asked quietly, so that Ceil couldn't hear us.

"Um, we kind of got into a fight, he's mad at me." I said back.

"What?! You and him, fighting?? How?" Yeah. It's very unusual for us to fight, because what would we fight about? I don't think I could be mad at Ceil.

We continued our awkward pace, until we stumbled upon our first batch of beasts. These were very weak. I wasn't a genius at magic magic, but I could manage a few beasts, I was more worried about what's to come.

As we were walking, I could see in front of me Violet trying to talk to Ceil, who was ignoring for except for the occasional "shut up". I wondered about how Ceil viewed Violet. Curtis said that she had been bothering them, but I didn't get Ceil's opinion on her. I was kind of worried because she's the heroine... wait, worried?

And just as I was going to finish my thought, I heard Violet say in half-loud, "Why don't you act like a capture target?!" In a voice of frustration. Ceil ignored her, not knowing what she means. But I knew. But how could she know??? That word is only used by people of my past world. But that could only mean, that she was like me?

Another hoard of beasts appeared, and Violet started getting ready to use her light magic, but it didn't look like a small spell. In the game, the heroine was advised by the professor to not use a lot of magic, since it's very powerful and could go rouge. And even with that small spell the heroine used, it attracted a lot of demons, if she used that big of a spell, it would attracted 10 times more demons!!

Without thinking, I grabbed Ceil and Alice and ran, the light was already blinding, and then the next second the beasts were gone, but I knew what was coming.

Ceil was confused, "Hey! Where are you running?!" He yelled.

The next second, we all heard what sounded like a stampede, it was the hundreds of demons heading for us. "What the..."said Alice.

Demons were super fast, it didn't take long before they reached us. Demons of all kinds, the ones that look like wolves, goblins, and large beasts came for us, swinging their weapons. We reacted quickly, but the demons were quicker. The hoard separated me and Ceil from Alice, I don't know where she went, I hoped she could find Violet, since, if i'm right, she knows how to deal with them.

"What the heck?! Is this what you were running from? How did you know they would come??" Ceil asked loudly, trying to make himself heard.

Ceil pulled me in by holding my shoulder, trying to push away the demons, that were getting closer and closer.

"It's because I know! I know what's going to happen in the future, I have memories of it! I was anxious because this could happen!!" I said lowly, clutching Ceil's shirt.

Ceil seemed dumbfounded, but he didn't stop pushing the demons back. I tried to push them farther with wind, but it didn't help much.

"Is this what you couldn't tell me?" He asked.

"Yes. Im sorry, I didn't know how you would react." The demons were getting closer and closer, there was no hope of fighting then, we needed to find a place we could hide in.

"Then, thank you for telling me, but we could discuss this later, we have to find a place to hide!" He said, turning away and running away, holding me by my hand.

We found a big tree with a hole, it looked like a spacious one. We squeezed trough the entrance, and both sighed in exhaustion. We heard the demons run past the tree were in. We were safe. I didn't realize how tired I was until I passed out from exhaustion. The last thing i felt was not my head hitting the hard ground, but something soft, and comfortable.