Chapter 35: It's fine

Curtis POV

For the past week, I have been avoided Myles to the best of my abilities. It looked like the injury on his cheek is healing, that's good at least.  I... have not slept this week. With my parents constant arguing with me, to the look Myles gives me when I deliberately walk away. all of these things keep me up at night. 

Speaking of families. Mother and Father have become more strict with me recently. They want me to not sleep in the dorms anymore, as to not meet with Myles secretly, and send a carriage right after school ends. 

Even if I tried, I doubt me and Myles could talk, since the professors at school have been instructed to break us apart if they ever see us talking. 

I don't know what's happening on Myles's side of the story, but I don't think it's much different. I think, trying to fall asleep. Still not able to sleep, I space out, thinking of how my life could have been if I could actually be with Myles. But whenever I do, my happy thoughts immediately get stripped from me and I get hit with the guilt of rejecting him. 

It's... better this way... Us and our families stay far away from each other. They don't have to get mad, we don't have to listen to our parents yelling, it's definitely  better this way.... I really, really hope so.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I see the sun rising through my window, cueing that it's time to get out of bed. I get up, and I'm already dreary. My mind hasn't exactly been clear these past sleepless days. 

I dress up and head downstairs. My head hurts more than normal. I make my way downstairs, directly going to the carriage, trying to ignore my parents. I didn't want to listen to their daily lectures on how the Windstones are bad.

It's a very quiet ride to school. I try to sleep for a bit, but my mind won't turn off. It's so frustrating. 

I arrive at school, skip most of my classes since Myles is there. After a while of escaping from him, he stopped trying to find me and drag me to class. Yeah, that's better. 

Slowly walking down the halls, trying not to fall over, from my headache. A group of students pass me, I pick up a little bit of their conversation. 

"Have you heard? Myles Windstone is getting an arranged marriage, we haven't had one of those for a while." 

"What? Isn't that guy famous for only caring about studying?" 

I didn't hear the rest over my loudly beating heart. My stomach dropped. It makes sense...... his family likes to gain power through connections. It was inevitable...... we could never be alone forever. We were going to have to marry someone someday. It's.... fine.

I stagger through the hallways, not caring that the bell has already rung. I was suddenly grabbed by my arm and turned around. It was Myles. Not now, why do I have to see him now.

"go away." I say, trying to turn back. He stops me. 

"Did you really mean it?" He asks.

"Mean what?"

"That you wanted to stop being friends?" 

"...." I went quiet. Of course I didn't mean it. Why would I ever? I... just don't want him to suffer. "You're better off this way...." I say.

"Me? What about you!?" 

"I... I'll be fine." I say, avoiding his gaze.

"It doesn't look like your fine." He grabs my head to face him. Of course I don't look fine, I couldn't sleep for the past week. 

"There's nothing we can do about it." I say freeing my head from his grasp.

"Why can't we?" He asks.

"Because our parents don't let us talk! Because they will keep trying to keep us apart! Because your getting married soon!" I yell.

"Ah, so you heard about that." He says solemnly. "Then.... let's elope." 

"...What?" I say, surprised.

"We don't have to stay here. To be honest, I want to get out of that house as fast as possible." He says, in all seriousness. 

"Wh- What are you saying?! We can't!" 

"Why? Why can't we?" He asks. I stay silent. I... don't know. I've only ever heard the term 'elope' when some asshole runs away with their mistress. 

"I..... how would we even?" 

"If we can find a way, would you run away with me?" He asks, looking straight at me.

"...yes" Of course I would. Of course I want to be with Myles, what have I spent my last sleepless nights thinking about.

He grabs me by both of my shoulders and leans in. My lips are enveloped in something warm and soft before I could even react. 

Myles hugs me and says. "I'll meet you at the same time today, behind the school, okay, then I'll tell you how we can do this." 

I don't think my face has ever been as warm and red. I muster up an 'ok', and a small 'goodbye' as Myles leaves. I want to curl up in a ball of happiness and embarrassment. 

That night, I finally fell asleep, my dreams being filled with nothing but Myles. 

A/N: Heyy, those who spot spelling or writing mistakes, point it out, English is not my first language lol, also I'm getting tired of calling the couples by their names, any ship name ideas?