chapter 23

He finally pulled away from me, with this warm look in his eyes. I don't know what it was, but that look made me want to cry

No please don't go, just hold me a little longer!

"One last kiss?" I pleaded and he smiled.

"Be careful, you might get addicted..." He whispered and I choked.

"Uh...sorry, I didn't think of that." He awkwardly laughed and I smiled, shaking my head.

"It's fine, its just funny!" The worried expression on his face went away as he leaned into me.

Before I kissed him I whispered "you're the one thing I wouldn't mind getting addicted to."

He kissed me passionately, holding me close to him. I never wanted this moment to end, let us stay like this forever. Let this be our statue, him holding me as though he loves me so much, and if he lets go, I might never come back. Let it be permanently known how he kissed me on this day, in this driveway, with those soft and fluffy lips. Let it last forever.

When he tried to pull away, I leaned in further, as to say don't go, let's just do this all day.

He started to laugh which finally broke our kiss.

"Relax there tiger!" He leaned down and placed a sweet and gentle kiss on my forehead.

"I have to go to work. Enjoy your gift." With that he turned around and got into his car, smiling and waving as he drove away.

I wanted to write everything that happened down in a notebook right away, so I could always remember it. We kissed, outside. In my driveway! Did anyone see?

A part of me didn't care, a part of me felt sick with worry.

Even though I felt sick with worry, I wanted it to happen again, even if the entire street was full of people. Let me tremble in fear as he kisses my lips.

Was this truly what being in love felt like? Every minute, every second was scolding torture becuase your mind wrapped around one person completely and entirely.

But he didn't say it back.

I tried to not let it hurt me. I had been too desperate, and I left myself vulnerable. He wasn't ready, I had to accept that.

I heard my phone go off in my pocket, which seemed to bring me back to reality.

Mary: "Hey there Ollie Pollie, can you work today, 12-7?"

I messaged back a "sure no problem" since I wasn't doing anything today anyway.

Checking the time on my phone, I had a few hours to kill. I was home alone, and Robert said he would be out for a bit, so I'm sure I'd get a good while of privacy. Moments like these were precious.

I hurried back inside with a giddy feeling. This morning was perfect!

Wondering into my room with the bag in my hands, I set it on my desk and looked inside. There was a card taped to a white cardboard box. I knew this box. He always used them.

The biggest smile came across my face when I saw my favourite cookies in the box, they filled my room with a beautiful sweet smell. Butterflies tickled my stomach.

Chocolate cookies with walnuts and a swirl of buttercream icing. He made them one time and I guess I wouldn't stop talking about them.

What a wonderful man.

I opened the card with tender care, written inside was "I know I'm a pain in the ass, but these are your favourite cookies. Are we still playing the game, becuase I think I'm still winning! This is only the first gift of many to come! I have two years to make up for after all!"

The bottom was signed with his name and he even drew a small, bubbly heart next to it.

I would cherish this forever, along with his shirt. Tucking the card back into the envelope, I put it in a drawer in my desk.

I felt so happy, it was like a breath of fresh air.

I decided to spend the morning doing some chores and clean up so I grabbed all my dirty laundry and threw it in the washer. As I waited for it, I took a nice long relaxing shower and washed my hair really good too. It felt good, to be relaxed. The last week has been rugged.

I was glad I got through it though. It was all thanks to him. Everything was thanks to him.

I got out of the shower, the bathroom all steamy and hot. Sudden images of him flooded my mind and I shook my head. Lucas seems to be taking over every thought it seemed. I smirked.

I dressed into simple black track pants and a white band T-shirt. I decided I would have something to eat at work, so I decided on going there early. I packed my work bag with my uniform and threw my laundry in the dryer before leaving.

Today was a nice and sunny day, although there was a cool breeze that seemed to keep the sweat off your face.

After locking the door, I headed towards my car, one of Lucas's cookies in my hand. I finished the last bite before turning the engine on and driving to work.

I wish I could start every day like this. Kissing him in the morning, and having his fresh baked cookies, no Robert, no yelling, I'm clean and healthy, my stomach doesn't feel sore and empty. I wish I always felt this happy. Ive been missing out on so much.

I was excited to go to work today becuase I liked spending time with the girls. They seemed to lift my spirits in a way.

I chose a spot in the parking lot under some shade from a tree. The cafe didn't seem too busy which was nice becuase were usually in a rush around 12.

When I went inside it was nice and cool, there was always that light and calming music playing. I could hear Mary and Matilda talking in the back. About four customers were scattered around the dine in.

Going behind the counter, I met them in the break room, looking over inventory.

"Ollie! Thanks for coming in!" Matilda greeted me with her big wide smile, she rushed over and gave me a small hug.

Matilda was like having a little sister who was full of giggles all the time. Even though she was seven years older than me.

"It was really nice out today and usually were super busy when the weather is good, so I thought we could use some help." She further explained and I nodded.

Mary whispered a discrete "hello" to me as she walked by.

Sometimes I thought to myself how crazy it is that these two ladies run this business all by themselves. I was glad to be a part of it.

I left into the washroom to go get ready and as I was coming out, I passed Mary and noticed that her eyes were rather dark today.

I stopped her in the hall, becuase I knew something was wrong. She was ignoring everyone.

"Hey, what's going on?" I held her hand softly in mine so she would be less likely to walk away.

"Nothing, it's just been a very long night and Im tired and frustrated. Family problems." She took her hand away and gave me her short scornful smile.

Mary didn't try to lie to me becuase she knew I could see through it, usually I did the same. We were like that with eachother. But sometimes, its good to understand when things are personal.

"Take it easy today, I'll pick up your slack." She chuckled and shooed me away.

"I'm fine!" She yelled as she walked away. It was a bluff.

In other words, Mary was saying she would appreciate and take the offer.

Mary, Mary, Mary. What's bugging you today, and how can I help?