Chapter 35

Work was calling me constantly, the group chat had constant messages.

I simply wrote back: Ollie is in the hospital on the south road of GreenVeiw. Room 110.

We hadn't really talked since I was honest with him. I hurt his feelings and we both knew. But I was angry that he was hurt. I was angry because I wanted to believe him but there was a gut feeling I couldn't ignore.

Why would you defend him so quickly?

Why did you act that way in the driveway. Why did you look at me like that? Clearly you wanted me to know something, but what?

Was it nerves. Was it a warning?

A loud ding! brought me out of my haze, it was a message from the group chat.

Grayson wrote: We're all going to come over in an hour.

Ollie looked at his phone and smiled when he got the message too. It made me feel happy for him.

I decided to break the silence.

"Your excited to see them?" It wasn't really a question.

"Yeah, it'll be comforting."

Comforting...

"Look Ollie, I didn't mean anything from what I said." I was desperate for comfort myself and his forgiveness.

"But you did." He gave me a strong, stern look.

"I just want to make sure your safe!" I cried, feeling even more desperate.

He sighed.

"I know Lucas, I'm not in anything I can't handle." He put his phone back down onto the bed stand beside him.

"May you please help me use the washroom so we don't have to bother that nurse again." He tried to inch his way up with his hands but I was instantly by his side stopping him.

"Ollie take it easy!" I urged, holding him under his armpits.

"I am taking it easy Lucas, I've done nothing but stayed in this fucking bed for days now!" He yelled and I was instantly grateful the door was closed.

"It's gonna be okay Ollie, just relax your muscles, I'll hold you." I cradled one arm around his back and another under his legs.

"No no, I'm gonna be way to heavy!" He protested but gasped in reaction as I lifted him off the bed effortlessly and walked to the bathroom.

"My legs work!" He whined but I just planted a soft kiss on his forehead.

It took a moment to situate him on the toilet seat, between having to place him in it very carefully and then hold him up as he tried to pee.

It made me cringe, him wincing in pain and the little yelp he made, the pressure of pushing his stomach hurt him.

We stayed there for a second so he could take a break and catch a breath before we'd have to go back. There was sweat breaking down his neck.

"Your doing great Ollie. It'll get easier, I promise!" I tried to encourage but he brushed me off.

Once he was ready, I took him back to the bed and wiped his hands clean with a sanitizer wipe.

He passed out after that, only for a while though. The doctors came back in to feed him and check on his tubes.

He'd been eating a lot of chicken soup and toast.

He's going to lose a lot of weight throughout this, I thought.

A while later, the boys showed up. They all looked distressed and confused.