Chapter 4: A crippled ladys deal

Topper pushes open the doors to the police station. No one pays him much heed, which is funny as he probably looks out of place with his swollen bloodied face. A woman in uniform lounges back in her chair, her heads leaned back to the ceiling. She has her face covered with a cap. Topper stares at her criticisingly but decides he has no time to waste. So instead he paces straight to the deputys office and knocks at the door.

'Can I help you?'

Topper jerks his head back, pointing his thumb back at the woman who can be seen through the glass. 'I-', But he shakes his head deciding its not worth it. 'I know where Sarah is'

Deputy Shoupe looks up from the piles of paperwork at his desk but shakes his head in disbelief. 'No you don't'

Topper slams his hands down on the desk and uses it to support his weight.

'Can you not see or something?', he says matter of factly. 'Goddamit it look at my face, you think I did this to myself!'

'Do you know who you're talking to? you better cool down there buddy'

Topper laughs 'Is this a joke?'

Deputy Shoupe sits up 'Get out'

'Fine, I'll find her. I'll find her and bring her back on my own', Defeated, Topper retreats. A lump grows in his lump. He swallows not daring to cry in front of a bunch of useless bastards.

In frustration, he storms towards the exit, not daring to waste any more time. He passes a lady who observes him closely. Shes sitting down in one of the waiting chairs, a set of crutches lay beside her.

'You know where Sarah is?', She must've been eavesdropping.

'Who are you?'

'Carla Limberly'

'I'm sorry do I know you?'

'Dear we'll have plenty of time to talk later. Right now I need to get to John B'

Topper rolls his eyes. Of course John B has something to do with this. He gives up, turning his back on her. But hes prodded with her crutch, blocking his path.

'How about I make you a deal?', It wasn't exactly a question yet Topper surrenders and faces her once again.

'I'm listening'

'You get me to John B and I'll help you save your little friend'

Topper doubts it would be a good idea taking his chances with some creepy lady. Especially one who looks like she belongs in some kind of horror movie. Yet its worth a shot if it means Sarah would be safe.

'Do we have a deal?', She holds out a hand to him.

Topper takes it in his, its as cold as ice. A wide smile possesses her lips.

'Pleasure doing business with you'