Chapter 41: Playing dress ups

JJ holds up a short black nightgown. It's completely see-through, except for a few strips of lace by the top.

'Hey, Ms Limberly!', JJ calls with a wide grin on his lips. 'I found something you'd like'

Carla pauses, she stops looking through the grand dresses. But before she faces him, Pope jumps out and blocks Carlas sight of the skimpy nightgown.

'Nothing! He found nothing!'

Pope smiles at Carla, watching her spin back around before he turns to JJ.

'JJ!', Pope scolds in a loud whisper. He snatches the nightgown off him. 'what the hell do you think you're doing?'

'What? I'm just having fun'

Pope looks at him like he isn't speaking English.

'JJ she's paying for all this shit you know-'

'Yeah', he spits like it's the most obvious thing in the whole world.

'Do you want to go to the auction dressed like a hobo?'

'N-'

'Yeah, didn't think so. Can you at least try to stay on her good side? I doubt she'll buy you anything if you're taking the piss from her', Pope says putting the nightgown back on its rack.

JJ stands with his lips parted, he lets out a breath, then holds up his hands 'Just having fun'

'Yeah, well keep it in your pants JJ', Pope pats his shoulder and takes leave.

JJ squints after him. Keep it in my pants. Yeah right.

'Ay Pope wait up'

'What?', Pope says, but he doesn't turn around, he just keeps busy flipping through a rack.

'I found something that you might like-'

'I swear to God JJ if it's lingerie-'

He faces JJ now, eyeing the suit in his hands. His jaw can't help but fall.

'Jesus JJ where did you find that?'

JJ spins his finger around then stops, muttering that he forgot. But Pope doesn't seem to care, he walks up and holds the suit, inspecting it with awe.

It's sort of like a reserved pavement brown but more warm and retro. Tucked into the suit is a black dress shirt. Or at least it looked that way. Now when he's closer he can see that it's actually lace and slightly see through.

'I can't wear that'

'Sure you can'

Pope shakes his head, handing the suit back to him but JJ throws up his hands, refusing to take it back.

'Come on, try it on for me... pleaseeeeee', JJ prouts.

But Pope doesn't look convinced. So in last resort, JJ tries to do his best imitation of puss in boots*. He takes his cap off and holds it in his hands. His eyes rise to meet Pope.