Chapter 23: Deserted

The car pulls to a stop. Kies body shakes uncontrollably. Her lungs are staved from air, feeling as though they are about to burst.

The boot clicks open. Kie wipes her tears away, but not quick enough to hide them from him. A strange blank expression blankets his features. He has this psychotic shimmer in his eyes. Wasting no time, Rafe digs her out of the trunk and into his strong arms.

Kies legs wobble as he sets her on the ground. Her whole body aches from holding its compressed position for so long. But the moment Rafe turns to fetch some rope, she runs. Or at least tries to. She manages to make quite the distance, racing past groups of trees in this patch of nowhere. But her stiff legs are quick to give in. Soon enough her stride turns into a limp. A shitty final attempt at escape.

Rafe tackles her to the ground. He mounts her, pinning her against the dirt. Kie struggles, trying to push him off of her but in doing so only makes Rafe press his body further up against hers in frustration.

'One more time Kie! Run from me one. more. fucking. time. I dare you!'

'Go to hell Rafe', she hisses.

A strand of his hair dangles over his eye as he looks down at her. 'You're not pregnant are you? ... This was all a joke wasn't it? Goddamnit! Answer me Kie! Are you pregnant?!'

'No', Kie admits

'You think you can trick me just like that huh?', he cocks his head to the side, mocking her. 'I've got to admit that's quite the plan you had there. But pretending your pregnant is pretty low Kie even for a pogue'

Kie spits in his face.

'Oh, you're going to die bitch!', Rafe gathers up the thick rope in his sweaty palms and ties her wrists together. He does them up painfully tight, before doing the same to her legs. Of course, kicking around fails to stop him.

Rafe steps behind her, takes hold of her waist and drags her backwards.

'Rafe?', Kie cries horrifically 'What are you doing?...'

'Did you hit your head or something?... I mean what does it look like?', He wraps two loops rope around her stomach and ties a knot, chaining her to the tree.

'You're- you're not going to leave me here... Rafe?'

'I'll think about it', Rafe didn't sound very convincing. 'Maybe I'll come back when you finally learn to behave' and with that, he turns and disappears out of sight.

Kie sobs in disbelief. She has never felt so hopeless in her life. The chilly breeze tickles her neck. She gathers all her remaining strength and struggles against the rope but it's no use. She's trapped.

One after the other, tears slip down her cheeks spattering her neckline before rolling down her chest. She cries for everything. She cries over being abandoned here. For being stolen away from her friends. For JJ and his shitty life. For her parent's threats of boarding school. Kie cries until the sun goes down. Then she shuts her eyes and slips away to slumber.

* * *

Kies eyelids are heavy like they've formed some kind of thick glaze. It's difficult to open her eyes. It's like tearing the vanish from a painting. But the instant she hears footsteps approaching she peels her eyes open.

Her vision is still blurry from her hazy sleepy state. 'Rafeeeee?', she slurs tiredly. Kie peers through the darkness, she must've been asleep for hours. Theres a figure in the shadows. Her heart begins to beat faster against her chest. Whats wrong? Why isn't he saying anything? Why is he just standing there?

'Rafe?', Kie tries again. When nothing happens, Kie finds herself holding her breath. This is beginning to feel like a horror movie and this was the part where something bad is going to happen.