Chapter 9: Turns out fences are quite handy

Kiara opens her eyes and groans. Instinctively her fingers roam to the striking pain against her skull. When she retracts her fingers they're coated in dried blood. She squints, everything's a blur. Theres a weight in her lap where Sarah lies. Her chest rises and falls peacefully. The orange sky stalks them from above like some sort of wickered eclipse. But what time is it? And where are they?

'You're awake', Rafe says in a low mocking voice. His hands are on the boats wheel but he glances at her from over his shoulder with a crooked grin 'you're just in time'

Kiara springs up to her feet, waking Sarah in the process. She stands, staring fear-stricken as they approach the shore. Theres three figures who stand waiting for them; Rose, Wheezie and the man who makes her stomach twist. Ward.

'No...', Kie frantically looks for a way out. But there is none. Rafe cuts the engine and drops the anchor overboard. He jumps overboard into the shallow waters and motions them forward ecstatic cruel smile. Kie turns back to Sarah 'We need to run okay?'

Tears stream down Sarah face but she nods and takes Kies hand. They help eachother out of the boat, their socks and sneakers feeling weighed down in the shallow water. When they reach the sand, Kie leans close to Sarah 'Ready?'

Sarah nods, the two turn and sprint in the other direction, hand in hand. Running for their lives. But Sarahs quick to lose her breath and their soaked shoes attracting all the sand weighs them down. They're too slow.

'Kie-', Sarah says in between breaths 'W-we're not going to m-make it'

Kiara steals a look over her shoulder. Wards at a distance, having given up, and is catching his breath. But Rafe runs with ridiculous speed. Its true, they're not going to make it. But she is.

Sarahs voice trembles as she repeats her regret out loud.

'Sarah', Kie says calmly, they run further up the shore off the sand. There's a tall silver fence, not the patched kind but the barred. It's impossible to climb over single-handedly. Without hesitation, Kie bends down. 'Quick get on my shoulders!', she commands.

Sarah does as she's told without a second thought. But once shes on the other side she realises Kiaras not coming. Kie leans forward all composed 'Go-'

'I-I can't leave you here', Sarah cries

'Go, stay out of sight...and call Topper. GO!'

Sarah bites her lip but turns and disappears quickly amongst the trees beyond the fence.

'SARAH!', Rafe roars. He grips the bars angrily in his fists. 'SARAH!!!!' He punches his bawled fist against the fence. 'FUCK!'

Then slowly he lets out a low laugh and presses Kie up against the fence. 'You're going to pay for this'

Kie struggles but his hands have already woven around her neck. Her mouth gaps open, gasping for air. This is it. This is how shes going to die. By the hands of Rafe Cameron. In some random unknown place. But as she feels her life slip from herself, she focuses her mind on her friends. On their adventures. On JJ-

'RAFE!', cries a young girl's voice. Wheezie? 'Rafe, stop you're hurting her!'

Rafe lets go, Kie falls to the ground unconscious. But Rafes angry eyes don't leave her. 'What are you doing here Wheezie?'

Wheezie ignores him and steps in between their bodies. Tears run down her face. 'Y-you killed h-her'

Rafe takes deep breaths, sweat pools over his reddened face. He crouches beside Kies body feeling for a pulse.

'Shes not dead'

Rafe bites his lip but picks up Kie, carrying her over his shoulders. He continues to walk back down to the shore.

Wheezie stays frozen in place. She cries out in disbelief 'You really are crazy...'