Chapter 37: JJ vs Rafe

Kie struggles against his hold. The last bit of air burns in her throat. But just as she feels herself fading, Rafes shoved off her.

Kie collapses to the floor, choking down air. Her hand goes to her pained throat. It's dry and raw. She looks up, her teary eyes blurring her vision. JJ? ...How? No I must be dreaming... Or dead.

But as his blue eyes meet hers, she knows it's him.

'JJ...', Kie chokes with a weak smile.

'Kie'

JJ rushes over and kneels in front of her, pulling her in, against his chest. He holds her close to him as her tears drench his shirt. But they're quick to pull apart when they hear Pope let out a cry.

'You're gonna wish you never left that island', Rafe threatens in a low voice.

He shakes his fist with a wickered grin. Pope feels at his cheek, his fingers retract blood. JJ scrambles to his feet, his watery eyes burn with unfaltering rage.

Rafes too busy clenching Popes collar in a tight fist to notice JJ charging at him. JJ knocks his fist hard against Rafe causing him to drop his hold on Pope and stagger backwards.

JJ starts heavy breathing, his knuckles are painted red. For a moment no one moves. A trail of blood pours from the edge of Rafes lips. He wipes at it with his thumb, snickering lowly.

Within the next instant his own fist collides against JJs cheek. Kie cries out for him. For them both. Rafes about to strike again but this time JJ dodges, earning another hit on Rafe. Then another, and another. Blood trickles down Rafes nose.

'Stop!', Kie cries

But no one seems to have heard her.

'Tough luck the other power puffs aren't here to help you this time'

Rafe swerves to the side dodging JJs swinging fist. He grabs a fistful of JJs shirt and slams him up against the wall. With his spare hand he strikes a powerful punch against JJ. With each hit he takes, JJs face is left more torn and bloodied. He begins to grow loose and limp in Rafes strong hold.

Pope tackles Rafe from behind, tearing him off JJ. Or at least trying to. Rafe jerks Pope backwards. Pope is flinged onto the ground, blood creeps down his nose. He watches in horror as JJ begins to collapse but Rafe holds him up, hitting him over and over.

'No!', Kie cries

She latches herself at Rafe trying to rip him away. But Rafe hits her hard. Then he realises what he's done. Kie lets out a shuttered breath. For a moment her vision spins. She holds her burning cheek in her hand.

'Kie I'm sorry-'

JJ shoves him aside. 'Hey', he surveys her, all concerned 'you good?'

His face is covered in blood. He's hurt and Kie hates seeing him like this. Tears roll down her cheeks, the salt burns like acid at the gash on her cheekbone. JJ catches a tear with his thumb. But the tears keep falling.

'Kie... look I'm sorry- I didn't mean to-'

JJs expression turns dark, something changes in his eyes. He snaps around and throws himself at Rafe, tackling him to the ground. JJ mounts him, pinning him down. His fist knocks Rafe down, another hit then another. His face becomes a mess of blood.

'JJ stop! JJ you're hurting him!'

But she might as well have said nothing. JJ continues bashing Rafe against the ground. Kie wraps herself around him, in attempt to pull him away, but he doesn't budge. Kie pulls and pulls, Pope quickly joins. Together they tear him away.

'Don't you ever touch her again!! You hear me?!', JJ spits over his shoulder as the pogues drag him, one arm each.

'That's enough', Pope says. 'Come on, we need to leave before security gets here'

JJ shakes them off and looks behind him. 'Fuck the security! We can't just leave him-'

'You've done enough JJ'

'Let's just get out of here', Kie says, her voice barely above a whisper.

JJs eyes meet hers and his hesitation disintegrates. He nods.

They leave the club and Rafe behind.