Chapter 26: Kies high

In the middle of the night, Kie wakes up. Sweat soaks her body. Her breathings heavy and ragged. I'm here. She reassures herself. I'm safe.

She searches the dark room for him. He's fast asleep on the floor. All curled up on the carpet, cradling his body for warmth. He must've passed out cause he has no pillow or blankets. It's weird seeing him like this. So vulnerable for once.

Without thinking, Kie slips out of bed, dragging the covers with her. She gently sets them over him before retrieving her pillow and joining him. Having him close makes her feel safe. It doesn't take her long to fall asleep.

* * *

Kies eyes flutter open. She turns her head. He's gone. A frown forms on her lips.

She brushes the sheets back over his bed, before heading for a shower. She follows suit of a typical morning routine, changing into some of Sarahs clothes. But no matter what she does, she can't stop thinking about last night. About what might've happened to her if Rafe didn't show up.

Kie finds herself by Rafes bedside table. The wooden draw slides open revealing his stash. Kie never thought she would get her hands on a kook drug. Then again she never thought she would find herself in Rafes bedroom.

She makes a line for herself and snorts it. It leaves her nose feeling strange and she can't help but elapse into a coughing fit. She quickly hides any evidence that shes had some and places it back into the draw.

Kie doesn't want to find out what Rafe will do to her if he discovers his prized possession has been used.

Having nothing better to do, Kie leaves his room. Shes at the top of the stairs when the high strikes her. Everything looks kinda hazy but in a cool way. Her body feels lighter, as if at any moment, stepping down these stairs she will drift away, floating. This is one of the best feelings shes ever had in her entire life. No wonder Rafe has an addiction.

As she reaches the bottom of the stairs her smile fades, there's someone yelling in the other room.

'Someone's prank calling me? Is that what you're saying Rafe?!'

Kie stands beside the doorframe, neither of them notice she's there.

'I don't know, okay! None of this is my problem. It could be a coincidence-'

'Its not a coincidence! It's them!', Wards face is an aggressive shade of red. He's bawled fist clenches Rafes collar in a threat.

'Hey!', Kie hisses. 'Get off him'

Ward snaps his head in her direction. Rafe brushes his fathers hand from his shirt.

'I thought I told you to get rid of her', Ward says in a low voice.

'Dad, we both know she's the only reason Sarah will come back. If we get rid of her friend here, what's keeping her from ever coming back?'

'Oh she'll be back. Sarah and her friends. They want the gold, they want the cross Rafe. Don't you understand that!?'

Ward punches his finger against Rafes chest. Rage begins to build in Rafes eyes. He whacks his fathers hand away.

'You listen here boy', Ward grabs hold of his collar again.

Out of frustration Kie shoves Ward 'Don't fucking touch him like that! He's your son!'

Ward pushes her back, hard. Kie stumbles backwards but launches herself at him. But this time she's struck down. She holds her pained cheek in her hand.

'This isn't about her Dad. It's about you and me. Okay? Leave her out of this'

'I'll bring who I goddamn want to into this', Ward gets right in his face. Is he about to hurt him?

But before Ward can do anything the doorbell rings.