Chapter 11: Rock bottom = Rafes basement

TW: domestic abuse

While Ward distracts the girls, Rafe carries Kies body down the stairs of the basement. With each step, the floorboards screech under their weight. Rafe swears under his breath, his shoulder's numb from her weight. The sweat that ripples down his face is irritating yet he somehow makes it to the bottom of the steps. He walks over to the far end of the space, near a pole.

In exhaustion, he drops Kie and collapses beside her with heavy parched breaths. He lays with his back against the cold concrete, staring at the high ceiling, watching the dim light flicker. But only for a brief moment, does he allow himself that rest.

By the next minute Rafes already rummaging through his clothes. He hastily takes out the cuffs from his back pocket and does up Kiaras wrist leashing her to the pole.

Rafe wipes the sweat from his upper lip with his forefinger. Then he stands and smiles into his knuckles. He may not have Sarah, but the thought of her out there cursing his name is good enough for now.

He begins walking back up the stairs, only once stealing a glance at her before shutting the door behind him. Rafe locks it, then checks the handle just to make sure.

When he turns away from the door he almost bumps into Ward.

'Dad', Rafe says with a smile. But his dad stares at the ground, in disappointment. Rafe frowns 'Dad we'll find her, okay? look I got her friend. I know she'll be back. I'll find her-'

'No. You brought a whore into my house'

Rafes brows mend together but then he realises Wards talking about Kie. Its probably because of that stupid coconut bra. Rafe can't help but chuckle.

Wards face goes red with anger and he gasps Rafes collar in a fist. 'This isn't a game Rafe'

'No- I- I know that-'

Ward punches his son, as hard as his strength would let him. Then Ward lets go of his collar and slowly steps away. Rafe spits blood, holding his burning cheek in his hand. Refusing to look at his father, he just nods at the ground and walks away.

'Rafe?', he can hear his father calling 'Rafe I'm sorry'

Rafe stalks up the stairs. He hates the way his eyes water. He hates the thick heavy lump at the back of his throat.

'Rafe?', the voice is much more gentle. 'Rafe what happened?'

But Rafe shuts his bedroom door on her. He exhales no longer able to stop the tears falling down his face.

'Rafe....'

'Go away Wheezie'

'But-'

'Goddamit Wheezie just go!'

Tears stream down his face. No matter what I do, it will never be good enough.

Rafe wipes his tears away but more follow. He walks over to his bedside draw snatching the bag into his fist. With haste, he pours some out on a table and inhales the white substance. He sniffles, wiping his nose with his wrist.

Then Rafe turns and collapses on his bed with half a smile.