II.VIII

Cassie was sitting on the couch waiting for the others to get back while the kids were in their rooms.

Donna rushes to the other hallway, "I'll get some gauze from the infirmary."

"You had a chance," Hank glares at Dick.

"He would've killed everyone on the bus."

"And he's gonna kill how many more now?"

"I'll get him."

"Maybe you've lost the taste for how this works."

"We'll get another shot."

"The old Robin would've taken the first one."

Dawn holds Hank back as he started to advance on Dick, "Hank. Hey." She forces him to look at her, "Hey. That's enough. Come on." The two leave.

Dick notices Cassie's worried look and goes to explain but Jason walks in, "Where Dr. Light?"

"Jason," Rachel leans against the wall.

Jason walks closer to Dick, "Little stealth job on a guy who shoots, what, headlamps? I mean, half the city's on fire and still no sign of Dr. Light."

"Not the time Jason."

"Look, I don't take orders from you anymore, man." Jason gets up in Dick's face, "I do what I want, when I want."

Dick moves to leave but Jason stops him, "Get out of my way."

"I think you got it all wrong. You're in my way. Maybe you need to see a retirement package, huh?"

Cassie sighs knowing where this was going.

Jason cracks his knuckles. "Don't."

He grunts and moves to swing at Dick, but Dick swiftly stops him, by slamming him to the ground.

"Shit." Dick holds his hand out, "Here."

Jason smacks it away, gets up, and shoves past Dick.

Cassie gently places her hand on Dick's arm, places a kiss on his shoulder, and leaves to check on Jason, once again. Dick sighs and runs a hand down his face, leaving to take his frustrations out in the training room.

Cassie knocks on Jason's door.

"Cassie please not right now," he gently opened the door, his head hung low. She ignores him and pulls him into a tight hug.

It takes him a minute or two but he eventually hugs back, tighter than Cassie was holding him. The two stay like that for a few minutes. Jason was beginning to realize just how much Cassie cared for him. It was an unfamiliar feeling, but he didn't hate it.

They only pulled away because Cassie got a phone call.

She furrowed her brows and pulled away from the hug answering, "Hello?"

"Cassie, I'm-I'm sorry for calling so late. But-but there's been an emergency at the office, can you please come? Like right now? Please I need you," her friend and coworker Hailey sobbed into the phone.
Cassie had never gotten a call like this from her so she began to panic, "Of course Hal. I'm twenty minutes from the office so I am on my way. Go sit in my office, grab a bottle of water, and I will be there as quick as I can."

"Hurry," she sobbed again.

"I'm coming. I'm coming. Do you want me to stay on the phone while I head there?"