IV.IV

Dick, Cassie, and Kory are standing in front of Conner. He's locked up and his powers are dampened by kryptonite.

"I can hear them," Conner says. "People outside, what they're saying about me." The chains rattle as he steps closer, "I didn't kill him, Dick. It happened the way I said it did."

"I know," Dick sighs.

Kory looks at Conner, "We're gonna get you out of here, Conner."

"And find the people who did this."

Conner stepped forward again, "I've never seen anything like that. I didn't know that kind of power existed. He was terrified. No one should die like that. Not even Lex Luthor."

"Magic is dangerous. What you described sounds like Lex wanted something maybe he was even working with others, and his life was the price to pay for that power. It's... I'm sorry you had to see that Conner, I'm just glad you're still standing," Cassie sighed and ran a hand through her hair.

"How are they treating you in here?" Kory asked.

Conner chuckled, "Besides the Kryptonite? Like I'm a murderer. Like I'm the weapon I was created to be." He scoffs. "Lex was right. All it takes is one mistake, and you're the villain."

"You didn't make a mistake. You didn't do anything wrong. And PD is just holding you here until they figure out what happened. This isn't over."

Cassie crossed her arms, "Heros only become villains when they stop caring about the people they are supposed to protect. The public is easily swayed and will believe rumors when they only have half of the story. So long as you know who you are and what you stand for their opinion of you can be swayed again. I'm working on getting you out of here, don't worry."

"Dick... I-"

The PA system cuts on, "Mr. Grayson, Miss Anders, Dr. Astor, time is up. We need to question it."

"His name is Conner," Dick sighed. "This is bullshit. You don't have to answer anything."

Conner chuckles and holds up his cuffs, "Yeah... I do. It's okay. I was born in a tube. I'm used to being kept in a cage." He sighs and sits back down.

"We are getting you out of here, you understand me? You do not belong here, don't give up. I promise you, Conner. I promise," Cassie tried to reach towards him but a few guards held their guns up at her so she stopped.

Conner sighed.

"Mr. Grayson, we need-"

Dick shouted, "Yeah, I heard you the first time!"

"Okay. All right." Kory gently said, "Let's go."

Dick and Kory walked out of the room, but Cassie lingered.

"Dr. Astor-"

Cassie cut the PA system off, and turned around, "If you hurt him I'll tear your institution down, brick by brick. I'll find every little corrupt person in this building, every skeleton in your closet and expose them. There is no information you'll be able to hide from me, do you understand?" Cassie glared at the camera, "He is to be taken care of like he's a human being. He is to be comfortable while your reports are cleared away and he's proven innocent. If I find out that you've used more than 7% of kryptonite, which is the highest legal amount you are allowed to use, then I will have Chief of Security to the goddamn President be the one to personally hand you your termination letter. I'll be watching," Cassie stormed out of the room.

Dick ranted as they walked down the street, "You know, part of me wants to tell Conner to just break out of this fucking place."

"Hey, cool off," Kory said. "Conner's doing what he need to. Now it's our turn. We need to find the person that killed Lex Luthor. And I'm going to stay on Conner, make sure he know he's not alone."