III.XVI

6 years ago

"You'll never guess who it was that broke into the museum," Dick chuckled and placed down his bag with his suit in it.

Cassie absentmindedly typed into the computer, "Oh ya? Who?"

"Barbara."

Cassie laughed, "Of course it was. Let me guess she said something about the terrible security and her dad?"

"Exactly."

"Not surprising, she had made an offhanded comment about it the other day at lunch. Should have known."

Dick took the seat just next to her, "We went out for drinks afterward..."

Cassie smirked, "Where are you going with this? Trying to swoon Barbara Gordon this 'round?"

Dick moved his head back and forth, a smirk on his face.

"Gray!" She laughed, "I will admit you two would be interesting. Either be perfect and together for literally forever, or Babs would realize she could do so much better than you."

"Hey!"

Cassie laughed again, "I'm kidding. I'm kidding."

"Whatever. But what I wanted to say was that she wanted me to do a few with her. And..."

"And you want me to do my thing with security?"

"Please?"

She sighed and nodded, "Fine. But you better hope this doesn't backfire. I do not have time to clean up your mess. I am already overwhelmed with Ph.D. work, whilst finishing my second master's."

"Ok ok, I get it you're smart. It won't backfire. Promise."

"What have I said about making promises you can't keep?"

"Ya, ya. You're the best Cass!"

"Don't I know it," she turned back to her computer and kept working.

Present Day

Gar looks at Dick's wound, "Dude, that looks horrible."

"Five inches over and we'd be burying another body," Kory sighs. "Barbara's responsible for this?"

"One of her snipers is. Yeah."

"On her orders, I'm sure," Kory scoffs and continues to patch up Dick. "Maybe I should go and have a word with her."

Gar hesitantly says, "I think there's been enough bloodshed for today. That was way too close, man."

"I almost had him."

Kory shouts, "You're not listening, Dick! You scared us. Going out on your own, getting shot. It's not okay."

Dick sighs, "I didn't want to put you guys at risk."

"Oh, bullshit, Grayson," Gar says.

"Excuse me?"

"Dude, Hank blew up! Dawn left us forever, Cassie is upstairs in a coma, and Jason went dark. This family is dying and you go out alone and get yourself shot?" Gar starts to turn green, and growls. "Do you even hear the words coming out of your mouth?"

Kory warns, "Gar!"

"What?"

"Take ten. Go check on Cassie, make sure her levels are good."

Gar growls a bit and storms away.

Dick grabs his shirt, "Thanks. When did Cass get here?"

"About an hour ago, she's in her old room."

Dick nods and starts to walk away.

"Where are you going?"

"I'm going to go find him."

"You lost a lot of blood. You need to take it easy."

Dick looks at his wound, and shakes it off, "I'm all right."

"Dick, before you go upstairs there's something I need to tell you."

"Does it involve catching Red Hood and Scarecrow?"

"No."

"Then I'll hear about it later."

"Fuck," Kory whispers to herself.

After Dick gets changed and takes a shower he goes to visit Cassie in her room. He gently sits next to her on the bed. She looks peaceful like she's only resting like she could wake up at any moment.

"Hey, Cass. I don't know if you can hear me or not, but... but I wish you would wake up. We kinda need you out here. And... and I miss you." He sighed and fiddled with her ring, "I miss you a lot. Please wake up, I can't do this without you."

His phone rang, he was getting an alert about the attack at the hospital. Dick sighed, he placed a kiss on her forehead and walked out.

Cassie smiled, she wasn't sure where she was at, she could see a few buildings up ahead so that the direction she was heading, but she knew that was Dick. It sounded like someone had placed headphones on her and spoke directly to her, faintly but loud enough where she could clearly hear.

"I miss you too," she said out loud, knowing he couldn't hear her.

She headed towards the closest building.