IV.XXII

Dick, Kory, Gar, and Rachel get to the entrance of the temple.

Gar goes over to the keypad, and types in the old code. "They changed the code."

"What?" Kory looked at him. She turned to Rachel, "Go get Cassie-"

"No! Don't, she's doing something more important right now," Dick stopped her. He turned back to Gar, "We gotta get down there. Keep trying."

An explosion went off.

Kory adjusted her jacket, "I got this."

Everyone took a few steps away from the door.

"No, wait!" Rachel stepped up, and closed her eyes, projecting herself into the temple.

The cavern trembled.

Trigon spoke, "You have summoned me."

"Yes, I have," Sebastian stepped towards the pool.

"You had doubts." Trigon begins to crawl out of the fiery pool. "You hesitated. Your soul was racked by fear and weakened with confusion."

"It was."

Trigon was nearly fully out of the pool, "But you overcame that. You are the true son of Trigon."

"You're not angry about Mother?"

Trigon stood fully up, "She was a vessel, nothing more."

"She told me that when you rose, we would rule together as equals."

Trigon growled, "But of course."

"He's lying," Rachel called out. "That's all he ever does, is lie."

Cassie felt her strength closer than it was before and reached out for it. Deep breaths in, deep breaths out.

Something was calling to her below, so she reached out to it.

It took her a moment but she found its source and grabbed onto it. And held her hand out.

"Fuck you Trigon," Cassie muttered as she focused on taking her strength back.

Rachel shuddered as she channeled her powers.

"Is she okay?" Gar asked.

Dick said, "She's done this sort of thing before."

"I don't like it," Kory said.

"Just give her some time."

"My daughter," Trigon spoke. "I can't tell you how glad I am to see you. I've thought of you. Often."

Rachel walked closer to them, "I'm sure you have."

Trigon began to growl making Rachel and Sebastian turn to him in worry. But what they saw was a seafoam green energy fighting against Trigon.

They watched as Trigon roared trying to keep the energy source under control. It only took a few moments but the form was able to break away from Trigon and quickly sped off towards the ceiling.

Trigon screamed out and got visibly smaller.

Rachel took the opportunity to try and get through to her brother, "Sebastian. You know you can't trust him. He will kill you. Why would you bring him here?"

"He has something I need," Sebastian said to her. He turned around and started hitting Trigon with the staff, making their father groan out.

Rachel stumbled backwards and noticed Conner on the ground, not breathing.

Sebastian yells as he beats his father, forcing him back into the fire pool. Sebastian reaches his hand through Trigon's chest and rips out his heart.

Trigon groans and falls back into the fire.

Sebastian turns around, breathing heavily, holding onto the heart. "Rachel, you're the only family I have left now. So what do you say, hmm? You and me against the world."
She steps towards him, "You know I can't. You've gone too far. We're not family anymore."

"Well, that's a shame." He begins to drink the blood of his father. It sizzles as it burns his face. He drops the heart to the ground, making Rachel gasp in horror.

"You know, Mom and Dad were delicious, but I think I still have a little bit of room for you." He surges towards her and she disappears, returning her consciousness to her body.

Cassie groans as she tries to force her strength back away from Trigon's pull. Deep breath in. She started to hear laughter. Cassie knew she was still alone in the RV, but the laughter of her friends started to fill her mind. She smiled and gave one last mental tug at the force that was calling to her. She felt something snap and gasped.

A moment later a force smacked into her from behind and tossed her against the counter. She braced herself with her hands so she wouldn't be injured.

All of the sluggishness, all of the lack of motivation, all of the lack of everything really, was gone.

Cassie gasped at the feeling and started laughing, "Thank you, mom. For saving me."

Her eyes then rolled back into her head and she collapsed on the floor, her system overwhelmed.