53 - Cake and Goodbyes

I wake up early on the morning of Sirius' birthday, checking to make sure Rosalie is alright before carefully placing her in her baby carrier and taking her downstairs so she doesn't wake Sirius, I'm going to just let him sleep in since it's his birthday. 

I have breakfast, and then feed Rosalie when she wakes up, and then I begin baking a cake. 

I just make a plain sponge cake, I'll decorate it after so it looks nice. 

As soon as I put the cake in the oven, Leo tiredly walks into the room. 

"Morning," I say. "Want breakfast?" 

He nods his head and I smile at how adorable he is when he's half asleep. I first go get him a glass of juice before making him some toast. 

He drinks most of the juice and is suddenly full of energy.  

He asks me a million questions about the cake once he notices it and I have to make sure he doesn't go too close to the oven as he sits and watches it cook, which is apparently fascinating to his two-year-old brain. I'm fine with it, it's keeping him quiet and entertained. 

I take the cake out of the oven once it's done, and allow it to cool as I get out the stuff to decorate it with. I look down when I feel Leo grab my leg. 

"Can I help?" He asks. 

"Of course," I say, lifting him up. "Your dad is going to love the cake a billion times more if you're the one who decorates it. But we still have to wait a little while." 

Leo pouts. "Fine." 

Once the cake has cooled down enough, I bring it over to the dining table. I lay out all the frosting and sprinkles. I'd found some red frosting and lots of different types of sprinkles. 

I try my best to help Leo not make too much of a mess, but he still gets frosting everywhere. He also eats some of it, though I try my best not to let him eat too much knowing if he eats a lot it will probably make him feel sick. 

Once we're done, the cake is covered in a thick layer of frosting and several mini piles of sprinkles. 

"It's perfect," I say to Leo. "Good job."
He smiles proudly at the cake.
"I'll go wake your dad up so you can show him the cake."
I take Leo and Rosalie, who was asleep, through to the living room and turn on the tv to keep Leo distracted for a bit. 
"I'll be upstairs for a few minutes, shout on me if you need me." 

Leo nods, already focused on the tv. 

I quickly run upstairs to me and Sirius' room, going over to the bed where Sirius was still asleep.  

"Happy birthday." I say softly to him, waking him up. 

"Shhh, sleep time." He mumbles, wrapping his arms around me. I laugh quietly. 

"C'mon, get up." I say, pressing a kiss to his cheek. 

"Nope. Can't. Too tired. Gonna sleep forever." 

"Me and Leo made you a cake." 

Sirius opens his eyes. "What do you mean by you and Leo making it? As much as I love Leo, I don't think he'd be the best chef." 

"I made the cake, he decorated it." I explain. Sirius nods. 

"So its a frosting covered mess?" He guesses, smiling amusedly. 

"Yes. Frosting and sprinkles." 

Sirius sits up and yawns. "I guess cake is a good reason to get out of bed."