chapter 5

It was 5 o'clock and Ruby comes home to find the lights turned off and the curtains down so she assumed that Clark hadn't come home yet. So she turns on the lights and finds Clark sitting on the couch startling Ruby.

"Shit! Clark, you scared me." Ruby said with a slight smile.

"Sorry..." Clark said.

Ruby sets her keys in the bowl and hooks her bag on the coat rack.

"Everything okay?" Ruby asked.

"Yeah...everything's fine," Clark said.

Ruby sits next to him.

"Clark you're sitting in the dark. There's no way that everything is fine. Now talk to me. Was it your job?" Ruby asked.

Clark nods. "Yes." He said.

"Okay. What happened?" Ruby asked.

Clark lays his head in Ruby's lap and she starts to play with his hair.

"I was fucking humiliated. I was supposed to meet with Walter Tate because that's what I was told in my acceptance email. When I got there, he wasn't available because he was at another meeting so I was sent to his assistant. He gave me a tour of the building to kill some time but then when we were in the break room, these two douchebags came in laughing about me, a rookie who would ever have a meeting with him. And get this, Walter wasn't even in the building. So they made me their little assistant for the rest of the day. I had to get them donuts, I made them coffee, I even cleaned up their fucking offices." Clark said.

"Oh...I'm sorry babe..." Ruby said.

"It's like this entire day was just a waste of time. I could've been doing some actual work but instead, I was doing work for them." Clark said.

"Well...are you sure that Walter left? They could've been lying." Ruby said.

"No, he was gone. I passed his office several times and he wasn't there." Clark said.

"That's weird. Maybe it was urgent and he had to leave right away." Ruby said.

"Even if it was, his assistant would've known and told me," Clark said.

"I'm sorry you had a rough day babe," Ruby said.

"It's okay," Clark said.

"Is there anything I can do to make it better?" Ruby asked.

"No...I don't think anything is gonna cheer me up after today." Clark said.

"You sure about that?" Ruby asked.

Clark lifts his head off Ruby's lap and gets off of the couch.

"Yeah, I'm sure," Clark says as he heads for the kitchen to grab a beer from the fridge but Ruby comes up behind him and wraps her arms around him, and rests her head against his back making Clark giggle.

"I said I'm fine," Clark said.

Ruby starts to hum their favorite tune. Put Your Head On my Shoulder. Clark smiles and closes the fridge to face Ruby and hums along with her as he cups her face with both hands. He gives her a big kiss and looks deeply into her eyes.