chapter 35

Nighttime rolls around, and all that Clark has been doing is drinking, drowning all misery with every drop of liquor possible. He looks at the coffee table to see his previous designs before working. He regrets all the time and effort he put into the company and blames himself for being too trusting in Walter. The person he was the most excited to work with turned out to be the biggest liar in the business. He never thought he had to quit before the game was even released, but it was better for him to do that rather than be kept in the dark. After Clark chugs another beer, Ruby enters the apartment and sees Clark on the couch.

"Oh hey, babe! Didn't think you'd be home before me," Ruby said.

"Neither did I...." Clark said.

Ruby sits down on the couch next to him. "Gosh, I had such a fun day with the girls. We even went shopping for a wedding dress and found the perfect one for me!

"That's nice, babe," Clark said.

Ruby notices the empty beer bottles on the coffee table. "I see you've been having fun after work. Speaking of that, how was your day? You got out early?" Ruby asked.

"...I really don't wanna talk about it," Clark said.

"Oh...bad day? It's okay, sweetheart. Whatever it is, you can tell me." Ruby said.

"I can't...you're gonna be angry with me," Clark said.

"Baby, you do realize that we're a couple. Of course, you're gonna have to tell me things that might make me mad, but we'll work it out." Ruby said.

Clark sighs deeply hangs his head low. "I....quit my job," he said.

"You what? I thought you loved working there!" Ruby said.

"I did," Clark said.

"Then what happened?" Ruby asked.

"Babe, can't we just drop this?" Clark asked.

"No, we will not. You loved that job, and suddenly, you just quit? Something happened, and I want you to tell me." Ruby said.

"Walter's been playing me this whole time..." Clark said.

"What did your boss do?" Ruby asked.

"He's been taking credit from my game," Clark said.

"He did what??" Ruby exclaimed.

"Yeah...he's been putting his name on my work, and thankfully, those two guys that were bossing me around, in the beginning were the ones who told me," Clark said.

"How do you know they were telling the truth, babe?" Ruby asked.

"I confronted him, Ruby. And he absolutely showed no remorse. He said that nobody really cares who did what. All that people care about is what company the game is from, and since Walter is the owner, they're gonna think all the ideas came from his brilliant fucking mind." Clark said.

"Well, he can't do that, baby! We gotta do something about this!" Ruby said.

"What can we do?" Clark asked.