chapter 20

The next morning, Clark had already left for work way earlier than usual. Ruby is asleep in their bed and as she rolls over to spoon Clark, she notices that he's already gone. She checks the clock on his side table and it reads 9:34 AM. This would usually be the time Clark would wake up to get ready for work.

"Babe?" Ruby called out.

She didn't hear a response so she gets out of bed walks to the bathroom. No Clark.

"Where is he?" Ruby asked herself.

Then she walks to the kitchen and then to the living room. Still no sight of him. She looks over to the coat rack and notices that his jacket and bag were gone.

"He already left? He didn't leave me a note like he usually does." Ruby said to herself.

Knowing that she probably won't go back to sleep, she makes herself some coffee. During the process, she can't help but think about how Clark reacted yesterday during their playtime. She remembers his eyes filling up with tears, his broken speech, and the cowering as if she were a monster. She wonders if she was too extreme for him and that she needed to be more mindful of his boundaries. But since they've been together for a while, she believes that she is highly aware of what he is or isn't comfortable with.

"What happened?" Ruby asked herself.

She was very confused about how the mood completely took a drastic turn. Out of all the times they've had sex, that night, in particular, resulted in Clark having a panic attack. And it was killing Ruby as she tries to figure out why. She wanted to ask him herself but she didn't know how he felt towards her and was worried he wouldn't tell her the truth. Eventually, there was a knock on the door distracting her. She goes to the door to answer and sees Xavier holding some mail.

"Hey, Ruby! Some of your mail got mixed in with mine!" Xavier chuckled as he hands her the mail.

"Thanks, Xavier," Ruby said with a small smile.

"Everything okay?" Xavier asked.

"Yeah, I'm good! Just got a lot on my mind right now." Ruby said.

"Would you like to talk about it?" Xavier asked.

"Oh no. I wouldn't wanna be a bother." Ruby said.

"Oh come on! You've never been a bother at all! And besides, your father would not stop wondering about how you were doing without constantly blowing up your phone and I guess I'm the messenger!" Xavier said.

Ruby lets out a small laugh.

"Yeah, I can see that. Come on in. I'll pour you some coffee." Ruby said.

Xavier walks into the apartment and takes a seat on the living room couch. Ruby pours a cup of coffee for Xavier as she takes a seat next to him.

"So what's been going on Ruby?" Xavier asks before taking a sip.

"Oh you know...just work and planning the wedding," Ruby said.

"Ah, I see. Is that what's bothering you? The stress?" Xavier asked.

Ruby wasn't sure if she wanted to mention the situation to Xavier. But knowing that he's a close friend to her father, he is considered family to her. So she feels that she can confide in him.